AMERICAN POPULAR MUSIC: A MULTICULTURAL HISTORY provides a sweeping broad-based survey that also tells the story of American popular music from African American, European American, Latino, Asian, and Native American perspectives. With detailed, easy-to-understand explanations of key musical concepts and terms, this text integrates a critical listening approach using "CD Listening exercises" that work in conjunction with the available CD set. It also enables students to compare and contrast the musical, cultural, and societal elements covered, so they easily comprehend the important styles and influential artists that have contributed to the development of American popular music.
Additional Product Information
Table of Contents
1. The Language of Music: New Perspectives For Listening.
Part I: AFRICAN AMERICAN ROOTS�THE EMERGENCE OF THE DOMINANT CULTURE OF AMERICAN POPULAR MUSIC.
2. African Origins and Influences.
3. From Minstrelsy to the Blues.
4. Early Jazz: From Ragtime to Swing.
Part II: EUROPEAN AMERICAN TRADITIONS AND INFLUENCES.
5. From Hymns to Wind Bands.
6. The Golden Age of American Popular Song.
7. Country Music.
Part III: LATIN MUSICS IN AMERICA FORM A NEW BLEND.
8. America's Afro-Caribbean and Latin Musical Heritage.
9. Chicano and Mexican Popular Music in America.
Part IV: NATIVE AMERICAN AND ASIAN INFLUENCES.
10. Native American Popular Music.
11. Asian and Pacific American Popular Musics.
Part V: FROM MODERN JAZZ TO HIP HOP�60 YEARS OF EVOLVING TRADITIONS.
12. From Bebop to Acid Jazz.
13. Early R&B and Rock: The Late 40s and the 50s.
14. Girl Groups, Surf Music, and Soul.
15. Folk-Rock, the British Invasion, and Psychedelia.
16. R&B and Its Descendents After the 60s.
17. Rock After the 60s.
Best Buy Packages
Other Popular Packages
Choose the textbook packaged with the resources that best meet your course and student needs. Contact your
Cengage Learning representative for more information.
Bundle: Text + 2-CD Set
ISBN-10: 0495071293 | ISBN-13: 9780495071297
List Price = $253.95
| CengageBrain Price = $202.99
| College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $187.75
This Bundle Includes:
American Popular Music: A Multicultural History
List Price = $147.95
| CengageBrain Price = $117.99
| College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $109.50
List Price = $105.95
| CengageBrain Price = $105.49
| College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $78.25