The term "soft skills" tends to conjure up images of soft, white, fluffy bunnies jumping through a field of billowy clouds. The cold hard truth about soft skills, though, is that they can make or break anyone’s career in the beauty industry.
Really, you say?
Let’s start by defining what soft skills are and what they mean to a cosmetology student, hairdresser, educator, or salon owner.
Soft Skills: In short, soft skills are the opposite of technical skills. Soft Skills do not refer to how well you cut, color, or style hair. They depend on how well you build relationships, how well you communicate, how positive and flexible you are, etc. In essence, it's the experience that customers have with you.
We (and others) have said many a time…85% of your financial success is based on how well you communicate and the experience that a guest has with you. The other 15% of your financial success is based on your technical ability. What that means is that you have more opportunities to earn a better living and live a better life by focusing on developing your soft skills than you would if you focused on your technical skills. Now don’t misunderstand our message. You must be technically proficient. However, all the technical skills in the world will get you nowhere if you have a bad attitude and are unable to build relationships with your clients.
If you are ready to flex your soft skill muscles here are the top 10 that can make or break your career.
What other soft skills do you think are vital to success? Drop them in the comments below!
Photo: Shutterstock | Andrii Kobryn
Step-By-Step: Gea McAnear's Disconnected Cut
7 Ways To Prevent Hair Splinters
Michelle Campbell is the Content Marketing Specialist for MiladyPro.