Request for consultation
A trusted resource in paralegal education for more than three decades, WILLS, TRUSTS, AND ESTATE ADMINISTRATION, 8th Edition introduces the basics of estate planning and bequeathing property through wills and trusts, along with the laws and procedures involved, including the Uniform Probate Code. Packed with engaging, highly visual content enhanced by detailed exhibits and a writing style free of confusing legalese, the 8th Edition provides up-to-date coverage of substantive probate law, procedural law, tax implications, ethical considerations, and the roles paralegals and other professionals play in the process. Throughout the text, student-friendly case summaries, state-specific examples, detailed documents, practical assignments, and real-life contemporary issues prepare students for their careers as paralegals in this important area of law.
- Point of Interest Features: Additional and updated real-life contemporary issues familiarize students with the types of issues and conflicts they will encounter as practicing paralegals and provide them with the hands-on practice they need to solve problems on their own.
- Practical Assignments: Carefully crafted assignments require students to interpret, apply, and/or prepare concepts and estate forms, along with relevant statutes and the UPC.
- Important Law Updates: Key updates address the latest changes in probate law, the disposition of digital assets, as well as changes in the ethical guidelines that apply to paralegals and attorneys in the practice of law.
- Updated Documents and Graphics: Updated and revised forms, task examples, web resources, tables, charts, checklists, practical assignments, and illustrations facilitate better understanding of complex legal doctrines and principles.
- Condensed and Modern Coverage: The 8th Edition has been thoughtfully revised to eliminate outdated and redundant topics.
- Decades of Experience: This perennially best-selling text distills the authors' more than seventy years of combined experience teaching and practicing law into a comprehensive, student-friendly resource.
- Intelligent Study Features: Key terms in the margins draw student attention to essential topics; chapter review questions recap material after every section to reinforce understanding.
- Challenging Case Problems: Applying course concepts to these true-to-life problems helps students interpret findings on their own, while applying state-specific laws to each matter helps them see the different ways a Court might rule.
- Helpful Supporting Documents: The latest probate forms and tax returns help students visualize the process of probate and estate administration from start to finish.
- Ethical Issue Features: These features call attention to important ethical concerns relevant to the procedures discussed in each chapter.
2. The Estate Plan, and the Purpose and Need for a Will.
3. The Law of Succession: Death Testate or Intestate.
4. Wills: Validity Requirements, Modification, Revocation, and Contests.
5. Preparation to Draft a Will: Checklists and the Conference with the Client.
6. Final Draft and Execution of a Valid Will.
7. The Participants and the Proper Court.
8. Personal Representatives: Types, Pre-Probate Duties, and Appointment.
9. Probate and Estate Administration.
10. Informal Probate Administration.
11. Tax Considerations in the Administration of Estates.
12. Introduction to Trusts.
13. Classification of Trusts, the Living Trust, and Other Special Trusts.
14. Estate Planning.
15. Long-Term Care.
Appendix A: Sample Marital Deduction Testamentary Trust.
“The three greatest strengths of this text are: The level of detail of the information provided – This text would be excellent for degree earning students or even a paralegal course of Advanced Estate Planning; Chapter on long term care – The information included in this chapter is excellent. It is so relevant in today’s growing aging population, and uncertainty regarding health care/insurance; Forms in Appendix A – Having examples of the many probate and tax forms related to estate planning is an amazing resource.”
“This book does a great job of explaining the law in easy to understand terms with nice practical examples. It is easy to read and flows nicely.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
The Instructor Companion Website includes an Instructors Manual with sample syllabus, lecture outline and teaching suggestions, test banks, and customizable PowerPoint presentations.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.