Request for consultation
WELLNESS: GUIDELINES FOR A HEALHY LIFESTYLE, Fourth Edition is geared toward courses that emphasize the dimensions of wellness, including the impact of psychological, emotional, and physical health, as well as environmental influences that affect behavior. The authors provide unparalleled coverage of the mind-body connection, the relationship between fitness and wellness, and the importance of taking personal responsibility for one's health. Additionally, the text provides 39 assessments that help students put chapter concepts to immediate, practical use. Plus, new with this fourth edition, students have access to HealthNow, an online learning tool that includes pre- and post- test review questions and a series of interactive, self-paced activities. From theory to application, after students read this text, they will be equipped to understand the overall importance of wellness and make lifelong healthy life choices.
- A new focus on the importance of mindfulness (the Mind/Body connection) and on the importance of environmental influences in making healthy choices has been added to better present additional content specific to reaching overall wellness.
- Updated photos and figures support key concepts presented in each chapter. Instructor and student praised, this is one of the most visually engaging texts on the market.
- Behavior Modification is an integrated theme of this text. Students are taught key strategies for making behavior changes so they can apply the material to their own lives.
- "Assess Your Knowledge" review questions have been added at the end of each chapter and include 10 multiple-choice questions that focus on the core concepts discussed in the chapter and allow students to evaluate what they have learned. Answers are provided at the end of the book. These questions are also located on the PROFILE PLUS® 2007 CD-ROM, include answers and page references for easy review, and the results can be emailed to the instructor for credit.
- New from Cengage Learning and in alliance with Walk4Life®, students can now purchase the Walk4Life® Elite Model pedometer, which tracks steps, elapsed time, distance, includes a calorie counter, and a clock-- all for the price of just $10.50 additional (a $29 value)! Whether to be used as an activity in class or as a tool to encourage students to simply track their steps and walk towards better fitness awareness, this is a valuable item for everyone.
- Create a custom booklet! You can now select from over a hundred assessments and labs to create a course pack that includes just those activities you want to assign your students. You can also add your own content, to make it a truly integrated package specific to your course goals. Visit us at academic.cengage.com/health to learn more.
- Now offering a large array of new supplemental materials, including TestWell®, online resources, and the Multimedia Manager, which includes hundreds of text specific PowerPoint® presentation slides, new ABC® video clips, the instructor's manual, and test bank.
- Automatically packaged with "HealthNow," this new online interactive learning tool includes a behavior change plan, pre- and post- test review questions and interactive, self-paced activities.
- Thoroughly updated, this new edition includes coverage of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines and "MyPyramid," mental health effects of hurricanes and other natural disasters, updated information regarding rising incidences of specific STDs, ways to develop social skills without alcohol, impact of smoking on financial status, and much more! Refer to the text's preface for more details.
- Chapter 2 "Mind-Body Connection" has been expanded to include more on mindset, environmental influences, and strategies for how to create environments that make it easier to make healthier choices.
- A unique Chapter 5 "Perceptions, the Spirit, and Health" is more universal in focus and includes recent research.
- Self-assessments at the end of each chapter help students change unhealthy behaviors by identifying their strengths and weaknesses.
- A separate chapter on "Spirituality" makes this the only text on the market to include a chapter on each of the six dimensions of wellness.
- "Web Interactive" end of chapter sections provide relevant, current, and reliable URLs that lead students through interactive activities and assessments where they can apply chapter topics to their own lives.
- "Tips for Action" sections appear throughout each chapter and emphasize strategies for applying behavior changes such as "Lowering Cholesterol," "Beating Hostility," and "Boosting Fiber Content in Your Diet."
- Key terms are bolded and defined in each chapter, as well as in the end of chapter glossary, for easy reference.
2. The Mind-Body Connection.
3. Stress and Health.
4. Social Support and Health.
5. Perceptions, the Spirit, and Health.
6. Fitness Assessments for Wellness.
7. Exercise Prescription for Wellness.
8. Nutrition and Wellness.
9. Body Composition Assessment.
10. Weight Management, Eating Disorders, and Wellness.
11. Cardiovascular Wellness.
12. Cancer Prevention and Wellness.
13. Addictive Behavior and Wellness.
14. Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Create, deliver, and customize tests and study guides (both print and online) in minutes with this easy-to-use assessment and tutorial system. ExamView offers both a Quick Test Wizard and an Online Test Wizard that guide you step by step through the process of creating tests, while its "what you see is what you get" interface allows you to see the test you are crating on the screen exactly as it will print or display online. You can build tests of up to 250 questions using up to 12 question types. Using ExamView's complete word processing capabilities, you can enter an unlimited number of new questions or edit existing questions.
CengageNOW™, InfoTrac® 1-Semester Instant Access Code
Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
The Instructor's Manual provides learning objectives, detailed chapter outlines, a list of chapter-specific labs, a list of web sites, classroom activities and teaching strategies. The Test Bank provides true false, multiple choice, critical thinking short answer questions, and essay questions.
CengageNOW™, InfoTrac® 1-Semester Instant Access Code
CengageNOW is an easy-to-use online resource that helps you study in less time to get the grade you want.