Request for consultation
VISUAL BASIC GAME PROGRAMMING FOR TEENS, THIRD EDITION teaches teens and other beginners how to create their own 2D role-playing game (RPG) using the free-to-download and easy-to-use Visual Basic 2008 Express. You will learn step-by-step how to construct each part of the game engine using Windows Forms and GDI+, including a tiled scroller, game editors, and scripting. If you like playing RPGs, you'll love learning how to create your own because you have complete control over the game world. You'll gain a basic understanding of Visual Basic, giving you a game programming foundation, and the ability to use the tools and source code you create for other custom games. In each chapter you'll study short examples of code to help you build the different components of the game, including the foundational elements, the game engine, and all the gameplay components. You'll build the sample game from chapter to chapter, adding new elements and features as you learn them. And by the end of the book you'll have created a working RPG from scratch! With the tools, code, and skills you learn you'll be able to start creating your very own game adventures in no time.
- Shows teens and other beginners how to create their own 2D role-playing game.
- Covers Visual Basic 2008 Express.
- Teaches game programming using Visual Basic 2008 Express which is free to download.
- Uses clear and easy-to-understand instructions.
PART I: BUILDING BLOCKS.
1. Getting Started.
2. Visual Basic Primer.
3. Forms and Controls.
4. Drawing with GDIþ.
5. Bitmaps: Our First Building Block.
6. Sprites and Real-Time Animation.
7. Collision Detection.
8. Playing Sound Effects and Music.
PART II: GAME WORLD.
9. Designing the Game of Celtic Crusader.
10. Creating the Level Editor.
11. Rendering a Game Level.
12. Adding Objects to the World.
13. Using Portals to Expand the World.
PART III: GAMEPLAY.
14. Creating the Character Editor.
15. Dialogue: Talking with NPCs.
16. Fighting, Getting XP, and Leveling Up.
17. Creating the Item Editor.
18. Looting Treasure and Managing Inventory.
19. Creating the Quest Editor.
20. So You Want to Be a Hero?