Request for consultation
More than 1 million readers make UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION the bestselling introductory nutrition text available! Offering the most current coverage and packed with hands-on applications, the 14th Edition maintains the quality and support that discerning instructors demand for nutrition majors as well as delivers the strong science and nutrition basics that are ideal for introductory courses. It is also packaged with the 2015 Dietary Guidelines. New and updated topics enhance every chapter, while the emphasis on active learning and assignable content helps students advance their knowledge and future careers. Continuing to set the standard for introductory nutrition texts, the 14th Edition connects with readers through an approachable writing style and a carefully developed art program. In addition, the innovative companion online program -- MindTap® for Nutrition -- is available separately and offers an engaging, customizable learning path to help maximize your course success.
- MindTap® for Nutrition: You know what's best for your students and you can easily deliver it with MindTap®! Guiding students step by step through their course, MindTap®'s clear and engaging learning path includes powerful student tools and resources, including readings, Diet & Wellness Plus, pop-up tutors, activities, and assessments. Instructors can maximize student and course success by customizing the learning path and adding their favorite resources.
- Thought-Provoking Highlights: Each chapter "Highlight" now features Critical Thinking Questions designed to help readers develop clear, rational, open-minded, and informed thoughts based on the evidence presented in the text. These critical-thinking skills will serve them well beyond the course.
- Additional Tables: Equipping students with a quick but thorough reference, new tables have been added throughout the text and include nutrient class summaries, glucose levels for diabetes, blood lipids for heart health, signs and symptoms of preeclampsia, tips to prevent listeriosis, protective factors in breast milk, hints for picky eaters, nutrient roles in immune function, and much more!
- Expanded Weight Loss: Information to support this always-relevant topic includes new tables for estimating energy expended on basal metabolism or percent body fat at various BMI, FDA-approved weight loss drugs, national strategies to prevent obesity, and popular weight loss diets.
- Fitness Facts: In addition to a revised section on general fitness, UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION, 14e delves deep into energy systems and fuels to support physical activity, primary fuels for activities at different intensities and durations, symptoms of heat stroke and hypothermia, and other weighty matters.
- Hands-On Practice: Integrated throughout the text, "How To" tasks help readers problem solve and develop practical skills, such as calculating energy intake from carbohydrate, fat, and protein. A "Try It" activity follows each section to give students plenty of practice sharpening their skills.
- Complete and Relevant: UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION, 14e, begins by introducing the nutrients and thoroughly explaining their work in the body, while later chapters equip students to apply that information to their own and others people's lives.
- Emphasis on Key Concepts: Chapters open with learning objectives to help students immediately focus on key concepts. Each learning objective is tied to a "Learn It" section and reinforced with end-of-chapter "Review It" activities. In addition, detachable study cards reinforce the learning objectives with concise "Study It" summaries and "Test It" study questions.
- Compelling and Timely Highlights: Every chapter is followed by a "Highlight" section that provides readers with an in-depth look at a current -- and often controversial -- topic that relates to chapter concepts.
- Diet Tracking: At the end of each chapter, "Nutrition Portfolio" sections challenge students to evaluate their own dietary choices and set healthy goals through activities in the Diet & Wellness Plus digital app. In addition, informative "Dietary Guidelines for Americans" features provide current, science-based advice to promote health and reduce the risk of chronic disease through diet and physical activity.
Food Choices. The Nutrients. The Science of Nutrition. Dietary Reference Intakes.
Nutrition Assessment. Diet and Health. Highlight 1: Nutrition Information and
PLANNING A HEALTHY DIET.
Principles and Guidelines. Diet-Planning Guides. Food Labels. Highlight 2: Vegetarian
DIGESTION, ABSORPTION, AND TRANSPORT.
Digestion. Absorption. The Circulatory Systems. The Health and Regulation of the GI
Tract. Highlight 3: Common Digestive Problems.
THE CARBOHYDRATES: SUGARS, STARCHES, AND FIBERS.
The Chemist''s View of Carbohydrates. Digestion and Absorption of Carbohydrates.
Glucose in the Body. Health Effects and Recommended Intakes of Sugars. Health
Effects and Recommended Intakes of Starch and Fibers. Highlight 4: Carbs, kCalories,
THE LIPIDS: TRIGLYCERIDES, PHOSPHOLIPIDS, AND STEROLS.
The Chemist''s View of Fatty Acids and Triglycerides. The Chemist''s View of
Phospholipids and Sterols. Digestion, Absorption, and Transport of Lipids. Lipids in the
Body. Health Effects and Recommended Intakes of Saturated Fats, Trans Fats, and
Cholesterol. Health Effects and Recommended Intakes of Monounsaturated and
Polyunsaturated Fats. Highlight 5: High-Fat Foods—Friend or Foe?
PROTEIN: AMINO ACIDS.
The Chemist''s View of Proteins. Digestion and Absorption of Proteins. Proteins in the
Body. Protein in Foods. Health Effects and Recommended Intakes of Protein. Highlight
6: Nutritional Genomics.
Chemical Reactions in the Body. Breaking Down Nutrients for Energy. Feasting and
Fasting. Highlight 7: Alcohol in the Body.
ENERGY BALANCE AND BODY COMPOSITION.
Energy Balance. Energy In: The kCalories Foods Provide. Energy Out: The kCalories the
Body Expends. Body Weight and Body Composition. Highlight 8: Eating Disorders.
WEIGHT MANAGEMENT: OVERWEIGHT, OBESITY, AND UNDERWEIGHT.
Overweight and Obesity. Causes of Overweight and Obesity. Problems of Overweight
and Obesity. Aggressive Treatments for Obesity. Weight-Loss Strategies. Underweight.
Highlight 9: The Latest and Greatest Weight-Loss Diet—Again.
THE WATER-SOLUBLE VITAMINS: B VITAMINS AND VITAMIN C.
The Vitamins—An Overview. The B Vitamins. Vitamin C. Highlight 10: Vitamin and
THE FAT-SOLUBLE VITAMINS, A, D, E, AND K.
Vitamin A and Beta-Carotene. Vitamin D. Vitamin E. Vitamin K. Highlight 11:
Antioxidant Nutrients in Disease Prevention.
WATER AND THE MAJOR MINERALS.
Water and the Body Fluids. The Minerals—An Overview. The Major Minerals. Highlight
12: Osteoporosis and Calcium.
THE TRACE MINERALS.
The Trace Minerals—An Overview. The Trace Minerals. Contaminant Minerals. Highlight
13: Phytochemicals and Functional Foods.
FITNESS: PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, NUTRIENTS, AND BODY ADAPTATIONS.
Fitness. Energy Systems and Fuels to Support Activity. Vitamins and Minerals to
Support Activity. Fluids and Electrolytes to Support Activity. Diets for Physically Active
People. Highlight 14: Supplements as Ergogenic Aids.
LIFE CYCLE NUTRITION: PREGNANCY AND LACTATION.
Nutrition Prior to Pregnancy. Growth and Development during Pregnancy. Maternal
Weight. Nutrition during Pregnancy. High-Risk Pregnancies. Nutrition during Lactation.
Highlight 15: Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
LIFE CYCLE NUTRITION: INFANCY, CHILDHOOD, AND ADOLESCENCE.
Nutrition during Infancy. Nutrition during Childhood. Nutrition during Adolescence.
Highlight 16: Childhood Obesity and the Early Development of Chronic Diseases.
LIFE CYCLE NUTRITION: ADULTHOOD AND THE LATER YEARS.
Nutrition and Longevity. The Aging Process. Energy and Nutrient Needs of Older Adults. Nutrition-Related Concerns of Older Adults. Food Choices and Eating Habits of Older Adults. Highlight 17: Nutrient-Drug Interactions.
DIET AND HEALTH.
Nutrition and Infectious Diseases. Nutrition and Chronic Diseases. Cardiovascular
Disease. Hypertension. Diabetes Mellitus. Cancer. Recommendations for Chronic
Diseases. Highlight 18: Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
CONSUMER CONCERNS ABOUT FOODS AND WATER.
Foodborne Illnesses. Nutritional Adequacy of Foods and Diets. Environmental
Contaminants. Natural Toxicants in Foods. Pesticides. Food Additives. Consumer
Concerns about Water. Highlight 19: Food Biotechnology.
HUNGER AND THE GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT.
Hunger in the United States. World Hunger. Malnutrition. The Global Environment.
Highlight 20: Environmentally Friendly Food Choices.
Appendix A: Cells, Hormones, and Nerves.
Appendix B: Basic Chemistry Concepts.
Appendix C: Biochemical Structures and Pathways.
Appendix D: Measures of Protein Quality.
Appendix E: Nutrition Assessment.
Appendix F: Physical Activity and Energy Requirements.
Appendix G: Exchange Lists for Diabetes.
Appendix H: Table of Food Composition.
Appendix I: WHO Nutrition Recommendations.
Appendix J: Healthy People 2020.
Appendix K: Aids to Calculations.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
The Instructor Companion Website has everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.