Request for consultation
UNDERSTANDING NORMAL AND CLINICAL NUTRITION, 11e, presents the fundamentals of nutrition and nutrition therapy, along with their practical applications today. Starting with normal nutrition, chapters introduce nutrients and their physiological impacts, and nutritional guidelines for good health and preventing disease. Later chapters explore clinical nutrition, including pathophysiology and dietary changes for treating a variety of medical conditions, from obesity and pregnancy to diabetes and HIV. Known for a consistent and student-friendly narrative, UNDERSTANDING NORMAL AND CLINICAL NUTRITION, 11e, also offers resources to help students apply content to their daily lives and in clinical settings. Such features include systematic “How To” discussions, clinical case studies, end-of-chapter questions, in-depth “Highlight” sections, and the MindTap® digital learning supplement that enhances student understanding and performance in your nutrition course.
- Updated Guidelines. Introduced in Chapter 2 and incorporated throughout the text, the new 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans demonstrate the current approaches for fueling bodies, minds, and optimal health.
- Picture Perfection. Color illustrations and photos depict a variety of subjects--such as proposed food labels, fish oil supplements, alcohol labels, the cataract lens, and sleeve gastrectomy surgery—to help readers process the concepts in the readings.
- More Sustenance. The 11th Edition feeds curiosity with new or expanded discussions on the microbiome, Relative Energy Deficiency in Sports, food addictions, brite adipocytes, gastroparesis, and FODMAPs.
- Healing Nutrition. Offering the latest, evidence-based practice guidelines and recommendations for nutrition care during illness, chapter discussions focus on hypocaloric feeding practices for obese critical care patients, cirrhosis treatment, diabetes management, and nutrition for HIV/AIDS patients.
- Helpful Challenges. Critical Thinking Questions added to the Highlights sections ask students to focus on the most important information and apply what they’ve learned for better understanding and performance.
- All-New MindTap®. Fresh for the 11th edition, MindTap® offers the digital customization instructors want and the focused engagement students need.
- Guideline Features. "Dietary Guidelines for Americans" boxed features draw attention to current recommendations in the normal nutrition chapters, and help students understand and retain them.
- Healthy Cases. "Case Study" exercises prepare students for a career in nutrition by challenging them to plan nutrition education, counseling, or support in a realistic clinical situation.
- Challenging Q&A: "Clinical Portfolio" questions at the end of the clinical chapters use case studies to help students apply nutrition concepts from the readings to real life.
- Nutrition Highlights. These in-depth "Highlight" sections coordinate with each chapter, following the main discussion with a related, current, and often controversial topic. Designed to encourage students to form their own rational, informed opinions, each Highlight also includes Critical Thinking Questions that ask students to evaluate the evidence presented.
- MindTap® Digital Learning. Created by Cengage Learning to coordinate with the text, MindTap® for Nutrition is the digital learning solution that engages today's tech-savvy students and helps them become higher-level thinkers. Dynamic assignments, customizable applications, real-time course analytics, and a highlighting eReader with note-taking capabilities make this tool an indispensable supplement to any nutrition course.
- Updated Chapters. Reviewed and renewed throughout, every chapter presents the latest developments and evidence-based practice guidelines in nutrition science today.
- Engaging Vignettes. Chapter openers entitled "Nutrition in Your Life" connect chapter material to readers’ everyday lives, while end-of-chapter “Nutrition Portfolio” vignettes revisit key topics and their impacts on student nutrition.
- Hands-On Help. Offered throughout the readings, "How To" features provide step-by-step nutrition calculations and proven strategies for helping clients make dietary changes, while “Try It” exercises create opportunities to practice lessons learned.
Highlight 1, Nutrition Information and Misinformation.
2. Planning a Healthy Diet.
Highlight 2, Vegetarian Diets.
3. Digestion, Absorption, and Transport.
Highlight 3, Common Digestive Problems.
4. The Carbohydrates: Sugar, Starches, and Fibers.
Highlight 4, Carbs, kCalories, and Controversies.
5. The Lipids: Triglycerides, Phospholipids, and Sterols.
Highlight 5, High-Fat Foods—Friend or Foe?
6. Protein: Amino Acids.
Highlight 6. Nutritional Genomics.
7. Energy Metabolism.
Highlight 7, Alcohol in the Body.
8. Energy Balance and Body Composition.
Highlight 8, Eating Disorders.
9. Weight Management: Overweight, Obesity, and Underweight.
Highlight 9, The Latest and Greatest Weight-Loss Diet—Again.
10. The Water-Soluble Vitamins: B Vitamins and Vitamin C.
Highlight 10, Vitamin and Mineral Supplements.
11. The Fat-Soluble Vitamins: A, D, E, AND K.
Highlight 11, Antioxidant Nutrients in Disease Prevention.
12. Water and the Major Minerals.
Highlight 12, Osteoporosis and Calcium.
13. The Trace Minerals.
Highlight 13, Phytochemicals and Functional Foods.
14. Life Cycle Nutrition: Pregnancy and Lactation.
Highlight 14, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
15. Life Cycle Nutrition: Infancy, Childhood, and Adolescence.
Highlight 15, Childhood Obesity and the Early Development of Chronic Diseases.
16. Life Cycle Nutrition: Adulthood and the Later Years.
Highlight 16, Hunger and Community Nutrition.
17. Nutrition Care and Assessment.
Highlight 17, Nutrition and Immunity.
18. Nutrition Intervention.
Highlight 18, Food Allergies.
19. Medications, Diet-Drug Interactions, and Herbal Products.
Highlight 19, Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
20. Enteral Nutrition Support.
Highlight 20, Inborn Errors of Metabolism.
21. Parenteral Nutrition Support.
Highlight 21, Ethical Issues in Nutrition Care.
22. Metabolic and Respiratory Stress.
Highlight 22, Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome.
23. Upper Gastrointestinal Disorders.
Highlight 23, Oral Health and Chronic Illness.
24. Lower Gastrointestinal Disorders.
Highlight 24, Probiotics and Intestinal Health.
25. Liver Disease and Gallstones.
Highlight 25, Anemia in Illness.
26. Diabetes Mellitus.
Highlight 26, The Metabolic Syndrome.
27. Cardiovascular Diseases.
Highlight 27, Coping with Feeding Disabilities.
28. Kidney Diseases.
Highlight 28, Dialysis.
29. Cancer and HIV Infection.
Highlight 29, Foodborne Illness.
Appendix A: Cells, Hormones, and Nerves.
Appendix B: Basic Chemistry Concepts.
Appendix C: Biochemical Structures and Pathways.
Appendix D: Measures of Protein Quality.
Appendix E: Nutrition Assessment: Supplemental Information.
Appendix F: Estimated Energy Needs.
Appendix G: Choose Your Foods: Food Lists for Diabetes and Weight Management.
Appendix H: Table of Food Composition.
Appendix I: WHO: Nutrition Recommendations.
Appendix J: Healthy People 2020.
Appendix K: Aids to Calculation.
Appendix L: Enteral Formulas.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations that coordinate with the text, colorful images, an instructor’s manual with answers to many quiz questions, multimedia, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant, or deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want!