Request for consultation
Prepare students for management success with this engaging survey of modern management practice. UNDERSTANDING MANAGEMENT, 10E, seamlessly integrates classic management principles with today's latest management ideas to create a current market-leading text. Acclaimed authors Richard Daft and Dorothy Marcic cover management and entrepreneurial issues within small to midsize companies, where most students begin their careers, as well as within larger global enterprises. Students gain valuable insights into real contemporary business as they examine today's best management practices. This edition helps students establish and build on practical skills they can readily apply to future or current careers. Engaging examples and numerous skill-building and application exercises in every chapter help students deepen their understanding and refine their management abilities. With a streamlined format, this edition takes a close look at how change demands innovation and how innovation requires forward-thinking, flexible leaders and organizations. The complete ancillary package and high-impact digital options available with this edition, including MindTap® and Write Experience provides flexibility and solid support for your course as you use it to prepare today's students to seize business opportunities and lead change.
- A bonus feature looks at how companies are using smart management practices to reduce their impact on the planet. The Green Power boxed feature in every chapter highlights companies such as Nike using its Considered Design Index to monitor the total environmental impact of the running shoe production cycle, GE's creating labs for innovative sustainability research, and Burt's Bees committing to a "zero-waste, zero-carbon" goal by 2020.
- In-text examples, highlighted with blue brackets, have always provided outstanding illustrations of forward-thinking businesses. In the 10th edition, the companies featured in this section have been updated to represent a broader range of large and small companies as well as international firms. Students will recognize familiar powerhouses such as Toyota, JetBlue, Trader Joe's, and Gap Inc. and will be introduced to an array of smaller international firms, such as Bremen Castings, Inc., Godrej & Boyce, Semco, and Illumination Entertainment.
- Manager's Self-Test and Spotlight on Skills are two of students' favorite features appearing in every chapter of the book, and many of these features have been updated to reflect the latest in management thinking. New Spotlight on Skills topics include goal-setting, time-management tips, creative problem-solving, and ace interviewing techniques. New Manager's Self-Tests explore students' aptitude for servant leadership, teach them how to delegate, and help them develop a personal mission statement.
- MindTap is a digital solution developed with the goal of getting students to think and act like managers. Through these activities and real-time course analytics, and an accessible reader, MindTap helps you turn cookie cutter into cutting edge, apathy into engagement, and memorizers into higher-level thinkers.
- A short chapter-opening questionnaire asks students to take a brief personal inventory before they dive into chapter topics, bringing management principles to the forefront through self-assessment.
- At the end of each major section of a chapter is a Remember This bullet-point summary of the key concepts, ideas, and terms discussed in that section.
- An "On the Job" Applied Video Case in each chapter features real-world managers performing their duties in actual business environments. Managers candidly discuss today's challenges and share professional insights during brief interviews.
- Throughout this edition, "The Executive Edge" features highlight effective techniques that outstanding managers and companies have developed. "Spotlight On Skills" boxes focus on key practices at work throughout today's diverse organizations. These proven learning features and others help students better understand the value and practical application of the key management concepts they're learning for today's business success.
1. The World of Innovative Management.
Part II: THE ENVIRONMENT.
2. The Environment and Corporate Culture.
3. Managing in a Global Environment.
4. Managing Ethics and Social Responsibility.
Part III: PLANNING.
5. Planning and Goal Setting.
6. Managerial Decision Making.
Part IV: ORGANIZING.
7. Designing Organization Structure.
8. Managing Change and Innovation.
9. Managing Human Resources and Diversity.
Part V: LEADING.
10. Understanding Individual Behavior.
12. Motivating Employees.
13. Managing Communication.
14. Leading Teams.
Part VI: CONTROLLING.
15. Managing Quality and Performance.
"It took me a little while to figure out the best way to structure MindTap® for my students to effectively use it, but overall it provided great learning ground for the basics and allowed me to use course time for enrichment and discussion."
Instructor's Companion Website
The instructor companion website provides ongoing support for your course. Receive instant access to the Instructor's Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint lecture slides as well as other valuable teaching aids.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for Daft/Marcic's Understanding Management
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.