Request for consultation
Gain confidence in ICD-9-CM diagnostic and procedure coding across medical specialties with this comprehensive, hands-on worktext. UNDERSTANDING ICD-9 CM CODING: A WORKTEXT, 4th Edition has been fully updated to the latest code sets and guidelines for coding and reporting, with plenty of practice exercises, case studies, and full-color illustrations of anatomy and procedures to help you master ICD-9-CM coding. Includes a chapter on the coming transition to ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS.
- NEW to this Edition Faculty Features: Fully updated with the most recent code changes and the ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting.
- Includes medical abbreviations relating to body systems.
- Contains a new section in diagnostic chapters on comparison of ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM.
- Includes 59-day access to EncoderPro.com—Expert, Optum’s powerful coding software.
- MindTap available, including an ebook and interactive learning activities for each chapter.
- Coding Guidelines and examples are highlighted for easy reference.
- Full-color anatomy and surgical procedure illustrations.
- Key Features – Faculty: Presents material in an organized fashion that informs your students of the outline and objectives of the chapter and then presents key terms, with definitions throughout the chapter.
- Covers all aspects of ICD-9-CM coding including diagnostic and procedural coding.
- Includes a chapter on ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS coding systems.
- Coding Assignments and Case Studies provide immediate “real-world” application of skills.
1. Introduction to Coding and Coding Professions.
2. An Overview of ICD-9-CM.
3. ICD-9-CM Volume Organization.
4. ICD-9-CM Coding Conventions and Steps in Coding.
5. Coding Guidelines.
SECTION II: ICD-9-CM DIAGNOSTIC CODING.
6: Infectious and Parasitic Diseases.
8. Endocrine, Nutritional, and Metabolic Diseases and Immunity Disorders.
9. Diseases of the Blood and Blood-Forming Organs.
10. Mental Disorders.
11. Diseases of the Nervous System and Sense Organs.
12. Diseases of the Circulatory System.
13. Diseases of the Respiratory System.
14. Diseases of the Digestive System.
15. Diseases of the Genitourinary System.
16. Complications of Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Puerperium.
17. Diseases of the Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue.
18. Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System and Connective Tissue.
19. Congenital Anomalies.
20. Certain Conditions Originating in the Perinatal Period.
21. Symptoms, Signs, and Ill-Defined Conditions.
22. Injury and Poisoning.
23. V Codes-Supplementary Classification of Factors Influencing Health Status and Contact with Health Services.
24. E Codes-Supplementary Classification of External Causes of Injury and Poisoning.
SECTION III: ICD-9-CM PROCEDURAL CODING.
25. Introduction to ICD-9-CM Coding.
26. Operations in the Nervous System.
27. Operations on the Endocrine System.
28. Operations on the Eye.
29. Operations on the Ear.
30. Operations on the Nose, Mouth, and Pharynx.
31. Operations on the Respiratory System.
32. Operations on the Cardiovascular System.
33. Operations on the Hemic and Lymphatic System.
34. Operations on the Digestive System.
35. Operations on the Urinary System.
36. Operations on the Male Genital Organs.
37. Operations on the Female Genital Organs.
38. Operations and Obstetrical Procedures.
39. Operations on the Musculoskeletal System.
40. Operations on the Integumentary System.
41. Miscellaneous Procedures and Interventions.
42. ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS.
Appendix A: ICD-9-CM Official Coding Guidelines for Coding and reporting.
Appendix B: Anatomical Diagrams.
Appendix C: Partial Answer Key to Textbook Exercises.
Appendix D: Exercises for EncoderPro.
"I would recommend this textbook. It contains many features that would enhance the student’s learning of the basics for coding as well as information on the diseases and surgeries within that chapter. The graphics are well done which is also an additional learning tool. Some students are visual learners and these pictures help them to better understand the diseases/procedures and how that understanding affects the code assignment."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access