Request for consultation
Featuring green environmental practices and current information from recognized leaders in the field, the fifth edition of TURFGRASS SCIENCE AND MANAGEMENT invites readers into the thriving turfgrass industry. Designed for both aspiring and practicing turfgrass managers, the book explains the science behind plant growth and soil properties and how to evaluate, establish and maintain a variety of green spaces, including golf courses, athletic fields, and landscaped lawns. In addition, TURFGRASS SCIENCE AND MANAGEMENT offers a review of critical math skills, an inside look at careers opportunities, and practical advice on effective business management practices to help prepare turfgrass managers for success.
- Current and Cutting Edge: Internationally recognized leader in the turfgrass industry, co-author Dr. Frank Rossi, provides technical know-how on current practices and procedures in turfgrass management.
- Environmentally Responsible: "Green" turf management techniques are covered, such as organic turf care, limiting chemical inputs, efficient irrigation, and reducing emissions in addition to a review of various "green" career opportunities.
- Insightful: "Turf Tips" and "Fast Facts" are all-new features that offer practical advice and insider's knowledge for successful turfgrass management.
- Vibrant and Engaging: The full-color design features new photos and colorized illustrations to provide visual references for turfgrass identification practices.
- Robust Instructor and Student Support: Instructor Companion Site: Features information specifically designed for the instructor, including Answers to Review and Discussion Questions, Lesson Plans, PowerPoint® presentations, Testing powered by Cognero, and an Image Gallery. CourseMate: An online tool designed for students and combines the Turfgrass Science and Management, 5E ebook with additional features to enhance learning for the student. It includes the PowerPoint® presentations, additional quizzing, glossary, interactive activities, lab exercises and additional resources. Also featured is an Engagement Tracker that allows instructors to monitor time on task for each individual student.
- Essential Content: Chapters on golf course management, effective business management practices and mathematical problems relating to turf science.
- Appendices: Include tables of customary-to-metric and metric-to-customary conversions, a sprayer calibration procedure, spreader calibration procedures, and a chart covering the identification of turfgrasses by vegetative characteristics.
- Features Renowned Authors: Turf experts Robert Emmons and Frank Rossi share decades of experience as professionals, scientists, and turfgrass industry leaders.
- Comprehensive: Properly prepares students for the position of turfgrass manager through a thorough explation of turf principles, turf science, climate and other environmental considerations.
- Informative: Details the specifics on various types of turfs and recommended management techniques for each.
- Practical and Applicable: Each discussion considers unique geographical considerations and offers practical information to ensure the turfgrass managers success, including a discussion of warm- and cool-season grasses, as well as the use of both in transition zones.
About the Authors.
1. The Turfgrass Industry.
2. Introduction to Turfgrass.
3. Warm-Season Grasses.
4. Cool-Season Grasses.
5. Introduction to Soils.
6. Soil Modification and Drainage.
7. Soil Chemistry.
8. Soil Testing.
12. Water and Irrigation.
16. Turfgrass Diseases.
17. Integrated Pest Management.
18. Other Turfgrass Problems.
19. Improving Unsatisfactory Turf.
20. Golf Course Management.
21. Lawns and Other Turf Areas.
22. Sports Turf.
23. Business Management Practices.
24. Turfgrass Calculations.
Appendix A: Conversion Tables.
Appendix B: Sprayer Calibration.
Appendix C: Spreader Calibration.
Appendix D: Identification of Grasses by Vegetative Characteristics.
Appendix E: Seed Identification.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
CourseMate, 2 term (12 months) Instant Access
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch reader comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate, 2 term (12 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. CourseMate includes: An interactive eBook with highlighting, note taking, an interactive glossary, and interactive learning tools, including: Homework, Quizzes, Flashcards, PowerPoint® presentations, and more!