Request for consultation
Taking a case approach, this proven book provides an accessible overview of tort law for paralegals who work on personal injury matters. Hypothetical scenarios in every chapter demonstrate how abstract tort law pertains to real life accidents and injuries. In addition, over 75 annotated cases featuring hot button issues give students an opportunity to apply key concepts to the types of cases they will encounter on the job. Built-in learning aids include problems, projects, a running glossary of legal terms, outlines, chapter summaries, and review questions. Now fully updated throughout, the Fifth Edition includes a new chapter on negligence, new content, and new chapter-opening "The Biggest Mistakes Paralegals Make and How to Avoid Them" features that illustrate a dilemma, an ethical lapse, or another unfortunate experience that actually happened.
- New content facilitates student understanding of the importance of medical malpractice actions, tort reform, insurance coverage, cyber torts including bullying and stalking, tortious liability for criminal activity, wrongful birth and wrongful life causes of action, genetic engineering and unauthorized uses of DNA, and tortious interference.
- Thorough updating of the law includes increased coverage of workers' compensation, court structure and system, alternative dispute resolution (ADR), as well as comparison of Restatement 2nd and Restatement 3rd of Torts.
- More practical, hands-on activities, references, and websites for further legal research, and over six dozen recent annotated cases (two thirds of which are new to this edition) make this the most authoritative text on the market.
- A new Chapter 2 on Negligence makes this the most comprehensive book for the course.
- Over 75 annotated cases that feature "ripped from the headlines" issues and require students to apply and integrate chapter concepts.
- Hypothetical scenarios demonstrate how abstract tort law pertains to real life accidents and injuries.
- Student-friendly pedagogy, including chapter outlines, summaries, review questions, additional problems, and a running glossary that defines key legal terms, makes mastering torts an engaging and rewarding experience.
3. Proving Breach of Duty, Medical Malpractice, and Legal Malpractice.
4. Special Negligence Actions.
5. Defenses to Negligence.
6. Intentional Torts: Injuries to Persons.
7. Intentional Torts: More Injuries to Persons.
8. Intentional Torts: More Injuries to Property.
9. Defenses to Intentional Torts.
10. Strict, or Absolute, Liability.
11. Products Liability.
12. Special Tort Actions.
13. Tort Immunities.
14. Tort Investigation.
"I have used Okrent Torts for several years because I like the tone and the substance of the text. The text sets forth the substance in a clear, straightforward manner. The substance is broken down into bite-sized morsels that are fairly easy for the student to digest."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
All of the Instructor Resources available on CD are also available now on line at http://www.cengagebrain.com. The Instructor Resources include PowerPoint® presentations for each text chapter, a computerized test bank, and Instructor's Manual.