Request for consultation
The theory and service of modern automotive engines is at the heart of this new edition of TODAY'S TECHNICIAN: AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE REPAIR & REBUILDING. Thoroughly enhanced and updated, this book includes information on variable valve timing systems, hybrid and other advanced technology vehicles. Readers will learn how components are designed and how they function to support engine operation through the help of realistic line drawings and well-structured photographs that engage them in the parts and pieces of today's automotive engines. The newly revised fourth edition includes more engine performance diagnostic information, as well as current NATEF content to help readers adequately prepare for the ASE certification exam in Engine Repair.
- Offers valuable content on the maintenance, diagnosis, and repair of engine systems and components that is practical and relevant to the future professional technician.
- A thoroughly updated art program showcases current engines, components, and tools that reflect the latest engine advancements in the industry.
- Practical information on hybrid vehicles includes service precautions and procedures that stress on-the-job care.
- ASE practice exam in the Shop Manual acquaints the reader with the types of questions they will see on the certification test for Engine Repair.
1. Automotive Engines.
2. Theory of Engine Operation.
3. Engine Repair and Rebuilding Industry.
4. Engine Operating Systems.
5. Engine Materials, Fasteners, Gaskets, and Seals.
6. Intake and Exhaust Systems.
7. Factors Affecting Engine Performance.
8. Engine Configurations, Mounts, and Remanufactured Engines.
9. Cylinder Heads.
10. Camshafts and Valve Trains.
11. Timing Mechanisms.
12. Engine Block Construction.
13. Pistons, Rings, Connecting Rods, and Bearings.
14. Advanced Technology Vehicles and Fuels.
1. Safety and Shop Practices.
2. Engine Component Identification.
3. Engine Rebuilding Tools and Skills.
4. Diagnosing and Servicing Engine Operating Systems.
5. Repair and Replacement of Engine Fasteners, Gaskets, and Seals.
6. Intake and Exhaust System Diagnosis and Service.
7. Diagnosing Engine Performance Concerns.
8. Engine Removal, Engine Swap, and Engine Installation.
9. Cylinder Head Disassemble, Inspection, and Service.
10. Valve Train Service.
11. Timing Mechanism Service.
12. Inspecting, Disassembling, and Servicing the Cylinder Block Assembly.
13. Short Block Component Service and Engine Assembly.
14. Advanced Technology Vehicle and Fuel Service.