Request for consultation
Ideal for aspiring and active automotive professionals, TODAY'S TECHNICIAN: AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICITY & ELECTRONICS, Sixth Edition, equips readers to confidently understand, diagnose, and repair electrical and electronic systems in today's automobiles. Using a unique two-volume approach to optimize learning in both the classroom and the auto shop, the first volume (Classroom Manual) details the theory and application of electricity, electronics, and circuitry in modern automobiles, while the second (Shop Manual) covers real-world symptoms, diagnostics, and repair information. Known for its comprehensive coverage, accurate and up-to-date technical information, and hundreds of detailed illustrations and vibrant photographs, the text is an ideal resource to prepare for success as an automotive technician or pursue ASE certification. Now updated with extensive information on new and emerging technology and techniques—including audio and infotainment systems, LED and adaptive lighting, hybrid and electric vehicles, and accessory systems—the Sixth Edition also aligns with the NATEF 2012 accreditation model, including job sheets correlated to specific AST and MAST tasks.
- The Sixth Edition features extensive updates to reflect new and emerging technology and service techniques, including material on electrical and electronic controlled systems, LED and adaptive lighting systems, and audio and infotainment systems.
- The text has been streamlined for easier reading and more effective learning, with chapters reorganized to reflect a logical sequence of topics, and material on outdated systems and obsolete technologies removed.
- The author has added and revised information to align with NATEF's 2012 accreditation model, including updating job sheets to reflect specific AST and MAST tasks as practiced by today's automotive technicians.
- New photos, illustrations, and diagrams have been added to provide a current and comprehensive review of electric and electronic automotive service and repair, providing valuable reinforcement of chapter material for today's visual learners.
- Numerous new study review questions and job sheets are included to help students review chapter material, assess and apply their understanding of key concepts and procedures, and identify any areas that need additional reinforcement.
- A full chapter on shop safety highlights safe work habits to reinforce the importance of consistent safety practices and familiarize readers with standards and procedures they are likely to encounter in today's service and repair operations.
- This comprehensive, versatile text is ideal for both classroom and hands-on learning, with a dedicated Classroom Manual covering theory and application of electricity and electronics in an automotive systems context, and a separate Shop Manual focused on real-world service, diagnosis, and repair procedures.
- Full-color drawings, photos, and schematics show modern automotive electronics, electrical components, circuitry, and systems in accurate detail, bringing chapter material to life and making even complex concepts and procedures easier to understand and apply.
- The text provides thorough coverage of the 2012 NATEF Automobile Program Standards for Electrical and Electronic Systems and includes a full ASE practice exam, providing ideal preparation for students and professionals alike interested in pursuing ASE certification—as well as offering a reliable, up-to-date reference for today's technicians.
- Detailed information on increasingly common technology—such as audio and infotainment systems, lighting systems, hybrid and electric vehicles, and accessory systems—prepares students for a seamless and successful transition from the classroom to the professional repair shop.
1. Introduction to Automotive Electrical and Electronic Systems.
2. Basic Theories.
3. Electrical and Electronic Components.
4. Wiring and Circuit Diagrams.
5. Automotive Batteries.
6. Starting Systems and Motor Designs.
7. Charging Systems.
8. Lighting Circuits.
9. Introduction to The Body Computer.
10. Computer Inputs.
11. Vehicle Communication Networks.
12. Advanced Lighting Circuits.
13. Instrumentation and Warning Lamps.
15. Radio Frequency and Infotainment Systems.
16. Passive Restraint Systems.
17. Vehicles with Alternative Power Sources.
Glossary of Terms.
2. Special Tools and Procedures.
3. Basic Electrical Troubleshooting and Service.
4. Wiring Repair and Reading Circuit Diagrams.
5. Battery Diagnosis and Service.
6. Starting System Diagnosis and Service.
7. Charging System Testing and Service.
8. Lighting Circuits Repair and Diagnosis.
9. Body Computer System Diagnosis.
10. Sensor Diagnostic Routines.
11. Vehicle Multiplexing Diagnostics.
12. Advanced Lighting Systems Diagnosis and Service.
13. Instrumentation and Warning Lamp System Diagnosis and Repair.
14. Electrical Accessories Diagnosis and Repair.
15. Servicing Radio Frequency and Infotainment Systems.
16. Servicing Passive Restraint Systems.
17. Hybrid and High-Voltage System Service.
Appendix A: ASE Practice Examination.
Appendix B: Metric Conversions.
Appendix C: Electrical and Electronic Special Tool Suppliers.
Glossary of Terms.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
The Instructor Resources commonly includes PowerPoint® presentations for each core textbook chapter, computerized test bank, Instructor's Manual, and other text-specific resources.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access