Request for consultation
With this acclaimed casebook, readers follow master teacher Gerald Corey and many of contemporary therapy's most highly respected founders and practitioners--including William Glasser, Arnold Lazarus, and Albert Ellis--as they apply eleven key counseling approaches to the needs of client Ruth. This focus on a single client demonstrates to readers how the various theories work, and also enables them to see exactly how these techniques differ.
- NEW Every chapter of the eighth edition of CASE APPROACH TO COUNSELING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY has carefully been reviewed for ways to bring the previous discussions up to date and to refine existing ideas. Twenty-four of the guest contributors (consultants) updated and revised their selections in this edition to reflect current practices.
- NEW Corey has revised the sections in each of the chapters where he demonstrates and discusses his way of working with Ruth from each of the various theoretical perspectives. At the end of each chapter, he has also added a section called "Some Final Thoughts" to bring the topics addressed to some conclusion.
- NEW Chapter 10 has been revised to show how three feminist therapists work as a team with Ruth.
- NEW Chapter 11 includes a new major piece contributed by Dr. John Murphy on applying postmodern therapy to work with Ruth, as well as a new major contributed piece by Dr. John Winslade on the use of narrative therapy when working with Ruth.
- NEW In Chapter 12, Jim Bitter joins with Dr. Mary Moline to expand the application of family therapy to Ruth's case. The discussion now discusses the four phases in family therapy, and includes a new dialogue by Drs. Moline and Bitter in demonstrating family therapy with Ruth.
- NEW Chapter 13, "Counseling Ruth from Multicultural Perspectives," now includes a new co-author for the section on "Ruth as a Latina," as well as an expansion of understanding and respecting Ruth's unique experiences as a Chinese American woman. The chapter now offers more on Ruth's gender and relationship roles, and increased coverage of role of religion in working with Ruth as an African American woman
- NEW In the greatly expanded Chapter 14, "Integrative Approaches and Developing Your Own Therapeutic Style," Dr. John Norcross first discusses his perspective on integrative psychotherapy and then applies his ideas to his style of working with Ruth. Dr. Corey then follows his piece with his comprehensive discussion of integrative counseling.
- The "DVD for Integrative Counseling: The Case of Ruth and Lecturettes" shows Gerald Corey working with Ruth, using various theoretical models and techniques. It includes discussion and commentary by Dr. Corey, explaining important concepts and incorporating a process dialogue discussing why a particular approach was used with Ruth in the session. It features the same content as the Integrative Counseling CD-ROM (2005) reformatted for today's classroom. For students who prefer to access the same videos online, a Premium Website is available.
- Reflection questions in each chapter encourage readers to apply the material to their personal lives and provide guidelines to them for continuing to work with Ruth in the particular theoretical orientation.
- CASE APPROACH TO COUNSELING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY, Eighth Edition, brings together more than twenty outside practitioners who are experts in their fields to apply their particular theory to one single client--Ruth.
- By applying each theory to the same client, Dr. Corey helps readers conceptualize the differences among theoretical models. Case material and discussions by leading practitioners illustrate how they work with Ruth based on their theoretical model. Dialogue between the consulting therapist and the client offers a comprehensive picture of how consultants apply their theory to Ruth's case.
1. Introduction and Overview.
2. Case Approach to Psychoanalytic Therapy.
3. Case Approach to Adlerian Therapy.
4. Case Approach to Existential Therapy.
5. Case Approach to Person Centered Therapy.
6. Case Approach to Gestalt Therapy.
7. Case Approach to Behavior Therapy.
8. Case Approach to Cognitive Behavior Therapy.
9. Case Approach to Reality Therapy.
10. Case Approach to Feminist Therapy.
11. Case Approach to Postmodern Therapy.
12. Case Approach to Family Therapy.
13. Counseling Ruth from Multicultural Perspectives.
14. Integrative Approaches and Developing Your Own Therapeutic Style.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate test bank content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
To help your students apply theory to practice, this manual contains structured self-awareness exercises that help students gain a deeper self-understanding and grasp the concepts of the various approaches.
DVD: The Case of Stan and Lecturettes
This exciting program features 13 counseling sessions in which Dr. Corey works with client Stan, using each of the theoretical concepts covered in this book. In each of the sessions, Corey applies a few selected techniques that effectively showcase how each theory works in a real-life counseling session. This program already is getting rave reviews from instructors. They often find that assigning portions of the video as homework allows them to use class time productively to discuss video concepts and insights that students have gleaned from the video.
This manual contains structured self-awareness exercises that help you gain a deeper self-understanding and grasp the concepts of the various approaches.
DVD: The Case of Stan and Lecturettes