Request for consultation
Through THE ART OF INTEGRATIVE COUNSELING, students learn how to integrate the theories to develop an individualized counseling style. Using the cases of Ruth and Stan, Corey demonstrates how concepts and techniques from a variety of theoretical perspectives can be successfully incorporated into different phases of the counseling process. In Becoming the Client sections, students are invited to put themselves in the shoes of the client while Dr. Corey applies the topics of each chapter to them.
- NEW All of the chapters have been carefully reviewed to determine how the topics fit with contemporary integrative approaches, with particular attention given to trends in the psychotherapy integration movement. Furthermore, chapters have been revised for increased clarity of reading.
- NEW Many new references update the discussion of key topics and provide avenues for further exploration. Corey has incorporated key findings from recent research on topics such as the central role of the therapeutic relationship, the role of client feedback on therapy outcomes, and the future of psychotherapy integration.
- NEW Additions to chapters include new material on solution-focused brief therapy and narrative therapy; an expanded treatment of diversity issues, especially the role of spirituality in counseling practice; new material and broadened discussion of the dynamics of resistance, along with the importance of respecting and reframing resistance; understanding the dynamics of transference and countertransference as it pertains to an integrative approach; and understanding the role of the past, present, and future as it pertains to counseling individuals
- NEW A second case featuring Stan, incorporated throughout the text, provides a second illustrative example of techniques and practice.
- The first text on the market designed to help readers conceptualize the various dimensions of an integrative perspective, THE ART OF INTEGRATIVE COUNSELING, Third Edition, can be used as a supplement for theories or practicum courses. It is also an ideal resource for students who already have a basic knowledge of counseling theory.
- The book is integrated with the best-selling THEORY AND PRACTICE OF COUNSELING AND PSYCHOTHERAPY, Ninth Edition, which includes enhanced references to THE ART OF INTEGRATIVE COUNSELING, Third Edition, for seamless integration.
- The book's relevant examples and illustrations provide readers with an in-depth look at modern counseling while helping them develop their own personal counseling style.
1. Beginning of Counseling.
2. The Therapeutic Relationship.
3. Establishing Therapeutic Goals.
4. Understanding and Addressing Diversity.
5. Understanding and Working With Resistance.
6. Cognitive Focus in Counseling.
7. Emotive Focus in Counseling.
8. Behavioral Focus in Counseling.
9. An Integrative Perspective.
10. Working With Transference and Countertransference.
11. Understanding How the Past Influences the Present and the Future.
12. Working Toward Decisions and Behavior Change.
13. Evaluation and Termination.
References and Suggested Readings.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate test bank content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
To help your students apply theory to practice, this manual contains structured self-awareness exercises that help students gain a deeper self-understanding and grasp the concepts of the various approaches.
DVD: The Case of Stan and Lecturettes
This exciting program features 13 counseling sessions in which Dr. Corey works with client Stan, using each of the theoretical concepts covered in this book. In each of the sessions, Corey applies a few selected techniques that effectively showcase how each theory works in a real-life counseling session. This program already is getting rave reviews from instructors. They often find that assigning portions of the video as homework allows them to use class time productively to discuss video concepts and insights that students have gleaned from the video.
This manual contains structured self-awareness exercises that help you gain a deeper self-understanding and grasp the concepts of the various approaches.
DVD: The Case of Stan and Lecturettes