Request for consultation
Incorporating the thinking, feeling, and behaving dimensions of human experience, the ninth edition of Corey's best-selling text offers an easy-to-understand text that helps students compare and contrast the therapeutic models expressed in counseling theories. Corey introduces students to the major theories (psychoanalytic, Adlerian, existential, person-centered, Gestalt, reality, behavior, cognitive-behavior, family systems, feminist, and postmodern approaches) and demonstrates how each theory can be applied to a single case ("Stan"). With his trademark style, he shows students how to apply those theories in practice, and helps them learn to integrate the theories into an individualized counseling style. This book is the center of a suite of products that includes a revised student manual, Case Approach to Counseling and Psychotherapy (2013), The Art of Integrative Counseling (2013) and media resources like the DVDs titled "DVD for Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy: The Case of Stan and Lecturettes", and "DVD for Integrative Counseling: The Case of Ruth and Lecturettes," which features the same videos as the Integrative Counseling CD-ROM redesigned for today's classrooms.
- NEW Updated annotated lists of reading suggestions and extensive references at the end of these chapters are offered to stimulate students to expand on the material and broaden their learning through further reading.
- NEW Chapter 12, "Feminist Therapy," includes an updated treatment of principles of feminist therapy, updated discussion of the role of assessment and diagnosis in feminist therapy, and a revised and expanded discussion on therapeutic techniques and strategies.
- NEW Chapter 13, "Postmodern Approaches," presents additional material on parallels between solution-focused brief therapy and positive psychology, a broadened discussion of the key concepts of solution-focused brief therapy (SFBT), more emphasis on the client-as-expert in the therapy relationship in postmodern approaches, a revision of material on techniques in the postmodern approaches, and more emphasis on the collaborative nature of narrative therapy and SFBT.
- NEW Chapter 14, "Family Systems Therapy," offers a reconceptualization of the chapter and streamlining of the chapter that includes more emphasis on the personal development of the family therapist, new material on genogram work for understanding the self of the therapist and clients, an expanded section on recent developments in family therapy, new material on the postmodern perspective on family therapy, and more attention given to feminism, multiculturalism, and postmodern constructionism as applied to family therapy.
- NEW Chapter 4, "Psychoanalytic Therapy," offers a broadened discussion of relational psychoanalysis, new material on role of countertransference in psychoanalytic therapy, and a revised and expanded section on brief psychodynamic therapy.
- NEW Chapter 5, "Adlerian Therapy," presents revised material on the concept of lifestyle, an expanded discussion of social interest, and new material on early recollections.
- NEW Chapter 6, "Existential Therapy," offers revised material on existential themes, more attention on international developments of existential therapy, new material on the main aims of existential therapy, a revised discussion of strengths of the approach from a diversity perspective, and a new discussion of integration of existential concepts in other therapies.
- NEW Chapter 7, "Person-Centered Therapy," presents expanded coverage on the influence of Carl Rogers on the counseling profession, a broadened discussion of clients as active self-healers, updated coverage of the therapeutic core conditions, and new material on the diversity of person-centered therapeutic styles.
- NEW Chapter 8, "Gestalt Therapy," includes a revised discussion of the role of experiments in Gestalt therapy, more emphasis on therapist presence, and more attention to the relational approach to Gestalt practice.
- NEW Chapter 9, "Behavior Therapy," features a broadened discussion of the role of the therapeutic relationship in behavior therapy, a revised section on dialectical behavior therapy, and new material on mindfulness-based cognitive therapy.
- NEW Chapter 10, "Cognitive Behavior Therapy," offers revised and expanded coverage of Beck's cognitive therapy, new material on Meichenbaum's stress inoculation training, a revised section on Meichenbaum's constructivist approach to CBT, and increased discussion of CBT from a multicultural perspective.
- NEW Chapter 11, "Reality Therapy," includes a revised discussion of the relationship of choice theory to reality therapy, an expanded discussion of the role of questions in reality therapy, and additional material on reality therapy from a diversity perspective.
- A case study focusing on one client, "Stan," appears in each chapter to demonstrate the application of all presented theories and make it easy for students to compare and contrast approaches.
- Online technology supplements for both instructor and student include a downloadable Microsoft PowerPoint® presentation for instructors. Access to the same videos featured on the "DVD for Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy: The Case of Stan and Lecturettes" are available online with online quizzing and links to reliable, appropriate websites.
- The book's flexible organization allows professors to cover topics in any order they choose to best meet particular student or course design needs.
- Corey's discussion of current ethical and professional issues facing counseling and human service professionals prepares students for the realities of practice.
- A framework for creatively synthesizing the therapeutic models, along with step-by-step guidelines, enhances the book's focus on helping students draw from the various theoretical models to develop a personalized counseling style.
- Two unique concluding chapters show students how to integrate the various theories when working with a client.
- Objectives covering key concepts, the therapeutic process, and applications of techniques and procedures are included in each chapter.
- At-a-glance charts pinpoint the major differences between theories in areas such as multicultural focus, basic philosophies, and limitations. The charts also help students identify key differences between the approaches.
- An online and DVD program, "DVD for Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy: The Case of Stan and Lecturettes" shows how the author works with Stan from each of the theoretical approaches covered in the book and new video lecturettes of the author highlighting key points for each chapter.
- An accompanying Student Manual helps readers apply theory to practice through summary charts, open-ended questions and cases, structured exercises, self-inventories, chapter quizzes, and a variety of activities.
Part 1: BASIC ISSUES IN COUNSELING PRACTICE.
1. Introduction and Overview.
2. The Counselor: Person and Professional.
3. Ethical Issues in Counseling Practice.
Part 2: THEORIES AND TECHNIQUES OF COUNSELING.
4. Psychoanalytic Therapy.
5. Adlerian Therapy.
6. Existential Therapy.
7. Person-Centered Therapy.
8. Gestalt Therapy.
9. Behavior Therapy.
10. Cognitive Behavior Therapy.
11. Reality Therapy.
12. Feminist Therapy.
13. Postmodern Approaches.
14. Family Systems Therapy.
Part 3: INTEGRATION AND APPLICATION.
15. An Integrative Perspective.
16. Case Illustration: An Integrative Approach in Working With Stan.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate test bank content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
To help your students apply theory to practice, this manual contains structured self-awareness exercises that help students gain a deeper self-understanding and grasp the concepts of the various approaches.
DVD: The Case of Stan and Lecturettes
This exciting program features 13 counseling sessions in which Dr. Corey works with client Stan, using each of the theoretical concepts covered in this book. In each of the sessions, Corey applies a few selected techniques that effectively showcase how each theory works in a real-life counseling session. This program already is getting rave reviews from instructors. They often find that assigning portions of the video as homework allows them to use class time productively to discuss video concepts and insights that students have gleaned from the video.
This manual contains structured self-awareness exercises that help you gain a deeper self-understanding and grasp the concepts of the various approaches.
DVD: The Case of Stan and Lecturettes