Request for consultation
This examination of the colorful Tiwi culture from the late 1920's to the 1980's provides a broad picture of cultural change and modernization in a hunting and food gathering tribe. The first half focuses on marriage contracts and their relationships to other aspects of Tiwi social structure, and the second half examines the Tiwis' response to modern influences.
Preface to the Third Edition.
Introduction: The Australian Aborigines.
1. Tiwi Marriage.
2. Life in the Bush.
3. The Prestige and Influence System.
4. The Collective Life.
5. Friend and Foe (1600-1928).
6. Changing Tiwi Society: 1930 into the 1970s.
7. The Tiwi Revisited: 1954-1987.
8. Fieldwork among the Tiwi, 1928-1929.
Sources for the Case Study and on the Tiwi.