Request for consultation
With this workbook-style text, students have a tool with which they can gain realistic, hands-on experience with several of the foundational functions of macro practice. Its four flexible units each contain case studies and numerous exercises that help them learn specific tasks affiliated with macro practice, such as developing a strategic plan and formulating a budget. As students complete each chapter, they build up a "portfolio" that demonstrates their proficiency in these areas.
1. Techniques of Organizational and Community Assessment.
2. Strategic Planning.
3. Contingency Planning.
4. Recruiting Collaborative Partners.
5. Gaining Support and Minimizing Opposition.
6. Developing a Public Relations Plan.
Unit 2: EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION.
7. Effective Communication in Agencies, Groups, and Communities.
8. Forming a task Force or Committee.
9. Working with a Board of Directors.
Unit 3: EFFECTIVE RECRUITING AND HIRING.
10. Creating Job Descriptions and Classified Ads.
11. The Hiring Process.
12. Conducting Interviews.
Unit 4: EFFECTIVE FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT AND FUNDRAISING.
13. Basics of Financial Management.
14. Writing a Government Grant Proposal.
15. Writing a Foundation Inquiry Letter.
16. Planning a Fundraising Event.
17. Writing a Fundraising Letter.
"I would describe the book as a good "how to" book, a hands on approach to the techniques and strategies of working in organizations and communities. I think it gives students a solid sense of how to proceed with carrying out certain techniques. I like the key word aspects to familiarize students with catch terms and I certainly like the discussion questions."