Request for consultation
Written by one of the most distinguished ethnographers of African cultures, this edition updates 30 years of research and writing. Middleton’s sensitive account dramatizes how this complex sociopolitical society, once reliant on feud or warfare to control competition, became refugees of harassment and victims of famine.
Preface to the Revised Edition.
1. The People and Their Country.
2. The Form of Lugbara Society.
3. Family, Clan, and Lineage.
4. The Wider Community.
5. Marriage and Maternal Kinship.
6. Spirit and the Ancestors.
7. The Cult of the Dead.
8. Conclusion: The Changing Society.