Request for consultation
Introduce the structure and function of the legal system from the perspective of a business practitioner with a strong emphasis on the nuts and bolts of legal rules and logic most relevant to business today with THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT OF BUSINESS, 13E. This popular book adapts a traditional case focus for the unique needs of business students who are likely to become mid-level managers. Clear, concise coverage addresses a wide range of topics, introducing key points of law through business-specific examples and realistic scenarios. Students view landmark cases at important points in the book, and most cases highlight situations to which students can easily relate. The authors’ readable style complements their extensive knowledge of domestic and international business to make this edition both an exceptional teaching tool and a favorite among instructors and students. To complement this edition, MindTap® online solution is available to help engage and prepare students.
- MINDTAP® OFFERS STUDENTS AN ONLINE, HIGHLY PERSONALIZED LEARNING EXPERIENCE. Built around proven Cengage Learning content, MindTap® fully online digital solution combines learning tools -- such as readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments -- into a singular learning path that guides students through your course. You can personalize the experience by customizing content and learning tools. MindTap® enables you to add your own content in the learning path with apps that integrate into the MindTap® framework seamlessly with your school’s own learning management systems.
- EACH CHAPTER OFFERS MULTIPLE CASES THAT USE A CONSISTENT, PROVEN FORMAT. Cases begin with a summary describing the background and the holding of the lower court, followed by excerpts from the decision. These excerpts focus on the key issues at stake so students see the logic of the decision. The cases illustrate key concepts developed in the book and illustrate legal reasoning applied to common business situations. Most cases involve ordinary situations, rather than extraordinary circumstances or decisions made at the executive-suite level.
- ISSUE SPOTTERS APPLY LEGAL PRINCIPLES TO COMMON BUSINESS SITUATIONS. This practical feature emphasizes the practicality of legal principles to everyday challenges, enabling students to see the relevance of the material they are learning.
- INTERNATIONAL PERSPECTIVES HIGHLIGHT VARIATIONS IN THE LAW AROUND THE WORLD. This feature appears in every chapter to provide a broader perspective on today’s legal concepts and how they apply to global businesses.
- CASE QUESTIONS HELP THE STUDENT APPLY LEGAL REASONING. Students gain valuable hands-on experience as they complete Case Questions as well as practical Ethics Questions and Discussion Questions.
- PULLING IT TOGETHER CASE QUESTIONS EMPHASIZE THE RELATIONSHIP OF MULTIPLE LEGAL ISSUES. This feature helps students tie together and connect many legal issues in business situations to widen their understanding of the interrelationships of key legal concepts.
1. Today’s Business Environment: Law and Ethics.
2. The Court Systems.
3. Trials and Resolving Disputes.
4. The Constitution: Focus on Application to Business.
5. Criminal Law and Business.
Part II: ELEMENTS OF TRADITIONAL BUSINESS LAW.
6. Elements of Torts.
7. Business Torts and Product Liability.
8. Real and Personal Property.
9. Intellectual Property.
11. Domestic and International Sales.
12. Business Organizations.
13. Negotiable Instruments, Credit, and Bankruptcy.
Part III: THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP.
14. Agency and the Employment Relationship.
15. Employment and Labor Regulations.
16. Employment Discrimination.
Part IV: THE REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT OF BUSINESS.
17. The Regulatory Process.
18. Securities Regulation.
19. Consumer Protection.
20. Antitrust Law.
21. Environmental Law.
22. The International Legal Environment of Business.
Appendix A: Legal Research and the Internet.
Appendix B: Case Analysis and Legal Sources.
Appendix C: The Constitution of the United States of America.
Appendix D: The Uniform Commercial Code (Excerpts).
Appendix E: National Labor Relations Act (Excerpts).
Appendix F: Title VII of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Excerpts).
Appendix G: Americans with Disabilities Act Excerpts).
Appendix H: The Antitrust Statutes (Excerpts).
Appendix I: Securities Statutes (Excerpts).
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
The Instructor’s Companion Website offers an all-in-one-place for you to download all of the teaching resources you need for your successful course, including the instructor’s manual, PowerPoint® slide decks, and LMS versions of the proven test bank questions.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for Meiners/Ringleb/Edwards’ The Legal Environment of Business
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.