Request for consultation
Integrating theory with real-world practice, THE HUMAN SERVICES INTERNSHIP: GETTING THE MOST FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE, 3e helps students make meaningful connections between classroom learning and their own field experiences through ongoing reflection, analysis, and exercises. This workbook-formatted text reviews and updates basic information that is useful to students in human service field programs. An excellent tool for self-assessment and analysis, the text intersperses exercises through each chapter to engage students in thinking about how the material being discussed relates to their own experiences. A unique six-step model--that students are encouraged to use throughout their field experience--guides students in enhancing self-awareness, integrating the knowledge and values of the profession, recognizing challenging and dissonant situations, decision-making, and follow-through. Chapters on getting started, ethics, cultural diversity, communication, self-care, and other topics help students maximize their learning from experience. Covering information from the beginning to the end of an internship, the text helps students analyze different experiences and situations they encounter on a daily basis in their field work.
- New! The exciting new edition of THE HUMAN SERVICES INTERNSHIP offers extended discussion of social policy and cultural diversity issues.
- New! The text includes new material on the strengths-based perspective and evidence-based practice.
- New! More detailed discussions of creating electronic portfolios equip students with another skill they can use in their job search. The "For Your e-Portfolio" feature discusses specific technology platforms for electronic portfolios and offers broad writing topics that students can address in the e-Portfolio, which many schools now require during internships.
- New! Evidence-based practice is introduced early in the book and is reinforced throughout the text.
- New! Chapter 9, "Taking Care of Yourself," adds a new stress assessment tool, helping students adopt healthy stress management practices that they can carry into their careers.
- New! Chapter 3, "Developing Ethical Competence," includes more information on personal and professional boundaries in the workplace.
- New! Completely up to date, the Third Edition includes new material, examples that reflect the current economic crisis, and a broad range of field placements.
- New! The new chapter order introduces key material in a more timely fashion, including earlier placement of the chapters on Ethics and Using Supervision.
- The book offers solid coverage of the special skills of human service professionals--including supervision, diversity, ethics, communication with clients, oral and written reports, and emotions and stress in the workplace--while helping students understand and avoid the common problems interns face.
- Useful for students in all disciplines, THE HUMAN SERVICES INTERNSHIP presents a helpful six-step model readers can use during their internship and throughout their careers. This model includes careful observation, identification and application of relevant knowledge, reflection on personal reactions, identification of dissonance, articulating learning from the experience, and planning for the next step in their work and learning.
- A sample learning plan with detailed instructions helps students create a clear plan and set goals for their internships.
- Chapter 6, "Communicating with Clients," equips students with the skills they need to communicate with all types of individuals, families, groups, and communities--even reluctant clients, who often present the greatest challenge to students.
- Chapter 11, "Planning Your Career," guides students step by step through the transition from internship to career, providing them with the information they need to launch a job search as their internship comes to a close.
- Detailed discussions of stress management and conflict resolution empower students to effectively work through the more challenging situations in their fieldwork.
- The chapter on troubleshooting offers practical tips for maintaining personal and professional boundaries, guarding against dual relationships, and maintaining personal safety.
- The chapter on writing and reporting in human services agencies includes thorough coverage on how to effectively write professional reports, as well as issues related to the application of computer technology.
- An expanded section on oral reporting provides students with detailed instructions about delivering oral reports successfully.
- Reflections and other writing exercises give instructors the opportunity to provide supportive assistance, corrective feedback, prompts toward further reflection, and other responses that can enhance students' internship experiences. These writing exercises also help students connect knowledge with their experiences and to apply critical thinking skills in their work.
- Kiser offers a wealth of practical information for students just beginning their field experience, focusing on issues such as myths about internships, stages in the development of internships, development of a learning agreement, and getting to know the field placement agency.
2. Getting Acquainted.
3. Developing Ethical Competence.
4. Using Supervision.
5. Learning to Learn from Experience: The Integrative Process Model.
6. Communicating with Clients.
7. Developing Cultural Competence.
8. Writing and Reporting within Your Field Agency.
9. Taking Care of Yourself.
10. Ending Your Internship.
11. Planning Your Career.
Appendix: Ethical Standards of Human Service Professionals.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Available with the text, Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated eBook, glossaries, flashcards, quizzes, and more--as well as Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Available with the text, Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated eBook, glossaries, flashcards, quizzes, and more.