Request for consultation
THE GRAPHIC DESIGNER’S DIGITAL TOOLKIT, 6th Edition not only introduces students to the essential features of industry-standard software applications, but also gives them an understanding of how to integrate these programs into a seamless whole. Using a highly visual and project-based approach, this fully revised new edition examines Macintosh OS X Lion® and Windows 7® operating systems, as well the “Big 3” digital design programs used in the graphics industry today: Adobe Illustrator® CS6, Adobe Photoshop CS6®, and Adobe InDesign® CS6. After thoroughly examining the features of each application from the designer’s perspective, the author then reveals in practical detail the traditional skills and technology necessary for effective design for print and Web media. Using online project files, students are encouraged to practice what they have learned by tackling design projects throughout the text from concept to completion. Effectively merging theory with practice, THE GRAPHIC DESIGNER'S DIGITAL TOOLKIT, 6th Edition stresses the critical importance of integration in design while meeting design parameters and client expectations.
- Updated Tools and Techniques: Tutorials in Adobe Photoshop®, Illustrator®, and InDesign® now include new tools and techniques for the CS6 suite, as well as revised figure illustrations to demonstrate CS6’s new darker interface.
- Improved Flow: In addition to new tutorials and enhancements to existing images, tutorial content has been revised so that each new skill builds upon a previous one, making content flow logically for students.
- New “Goodies”: The online Goodies folder includes additional information, skills, tools, and techniques to support the version 6 Photoshop®, Illustrator®, and InDesign® applications.
- More Instructor Resources: Packed with more content, PowerPoint® slides, and teaching materials, the Instructor Resources make course preparation easier than ever.
- Mac Leopard OS X® : A revised Chapter 1 includes the most recent developments in the new Macintosh Leopard operating system, for a timely perspective of this popular graphic design software.
- Online supporting Data Files supply all files needed for projects and tutorials, while the accompanying Website at www.digitoolkit.com delivers a variety of extra student learning resources.
- Expansive Coverage: Chapters and tutorials address all Adobe® CS6 Suite features in Photoshop®, Illustrator®, and InDesign®, as well as new features with Mac OSX Leopard® and Windows 7®.
- Colorful Artwork: Detailed photos, screenshots, and illustrations throughout the text and tutorials demonstrate the current Adobe® CS6 interface and applications.
- Helpful Tips: Incorporated in the projects and tutorials, Design Tips and special Toolkit Tips help students understand the importance of integrating traditional concepts and techniques with today's software advances.
- Ample Practice: The book’s more than 40 projects include "Using Selections to Replace Color on a Sports Car" in Photoshop, which showcases selection technologies and accurate toning for truly realistic effects. "Creating Playing Cards" demonstrates Illustrator's Shape Builder tool for customized shapes.
UNIT I: GETTING READY FOR PRODUCTION.
1. Welcome to the Land of OS.
2. Designing for the Client.
UNIT II: DIGITAL IMAGE EDITING: ADOBE PHOTOSHOP® CS6.
3. Adjusting Images in Photoshop.
4. Working with Selections and Channels.
5. Using Layers.
6. Restoring and Coloring a Black and White Photograph.
UNIT III: DIGITAL ILLUSTRATION: ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR® CS6.
7. Creating Shapes with Illustrator.
8. Working with Brushes, Symbols, and Layers.
9. Precision with the Pen Tool.
10. integrating Photoshop and Illustrator Files for Web Use.
UNIT IV: DIGITAL PUBLISHING: INDESIGN® CS6.
11. InDesign Fundamentals.
12. Working with Multipage Documents.
Appendix A: Completed Projects and Tutorials.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning’s CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. [Discipline] CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes—online with CourseMate.