Request for consultation
Enhance your course with plays in this companion anthology to Brockett/Ball's THE ESSENTIAL THEATRE, Enhanced 10e. The 14 plays are correlated to play synopses provided in the main text. These plays represent a wide historical range as well as the vibrant diversity of contemporary American theatre. An opening essay sets the context for each play.
- Three new plays, Sam Shepard's "True West," August Wilson's "Fences," and Tony Kushner's "Angels in America, Part I: Millenium Approaches" have been added to the Anthology.
- Eugene O'Neill's "The Hairy Ape," August Wilson's "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom," and Steven Dietz's "Becky's New Car" have been removed for this revision of the Anthology.
- The anthology represents a wide historical and cultural range of selections, from seven different countries on four different contents spanning from 500 BC to 2008.
- An opening essay sets the context for each play, helping students to get more out of the reading by reviewing each piece with an informed and analytical perspective.
- The anthology represents a wide historical range, from ancient Greece to the modern day, as well as the vibrant diversity of contemporary American theatre.
- Selections are correlated to synopses of plays that appear in the companion core text, THE ESSENTIAL THEATRE, 10e. These synopses prepare students for analyzing the complete pieces by helping them understand basic elements and what to look for as they read. In turn, the scripts serve as a foundation for the main text's explorations of the types of theatrical experience.
Oedipus Rex (English version by Dudley Fitts and Robert Fitzgerald), by Sophocles.
The Shrine in the Fields (Translated by H. Paul Varley), Attributed to Zeami Motokiyo.
Noah and His Sons (Edited by Oscar G. Brockett), by Anonymous.
Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, by William Shakespeare.
Tartuffe (Translated into English Verse by Richard Wilbur), by Molière (Jean Baptiste Poquelin).
A Doll's House (Translated by William Archer with emendations by Oscar G. Brockett), by Henrik Ibsen.
The Importance of Being Earnest, by Oscar Wilde.
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, by Tennessee Williams.
The Strong Breed, by Wole Soyinka.
True West, by Sam Shepard.
Fences, by August Wilson.
Angels in America, Part I: Millennium Approaches, by Tony Kushner.
How I Learned to Drive, by Paula Vogel.
Lydia (Commissioned and first produced by the Denver Center for the Performing Art, Kent Thompson, Artistic Director), by Octavio Solis.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Resource Manual
The Instructor's Manual contains resources designed to streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation. This helpful manual includes a chapter-by-chapter variety of activities to correspond to the concepts presented in the core text. Each chapter includes terminology, chapter outlines, discussion questions, quiz questions, and suggested activities. All activities and exercises have been class-tested for optimal effectiveness in the classroom.
CourseMate Instant Access, Enhanced
Cengage Learning's Theatre CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook, including Theatre Workshop. Theatre Workshop is a series of activities that include clips and images from live theatre performances, accompanied by critical thinking questions. In addition to interactive teaching and learning tools, CourseMate includes an interactive eBook. Students can take notes, highlight, and search. Use it as a supplement to the printed text, or as a substitute—the choice is your students' with CourseMate. Theatre CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate Instant Access, Enhanced
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.