Request for consultation
Combining outstanding listening pedagogy with clear writing and cutting-edge digital resources, THE ESSENTIAL LISTENING TO MUSIC (with Download Card), 2e delivers a streamlined and succinct presentation of classical music that inspires a lifelong appreciation of music. Scholar and master-teacher Craig Wright focuses on the key concepts and works presented within a typical Music Appreciation course. Organized chronologically, the text discusses musical examples from each historical period within its social context--giving students a sense of a piece's construction as well as its historical and cultural meaning. Designed to develop listening skills and challenge students, the text's wide range of resources includes online Listening Exercises for most pieces in the text, streaming music, computer-enhanced Active Listening Guides, and chapterwide and critical thinking quizzes for the entire text. Students also can download music covered in the text directly to a music library, and instructors can customize the text to fit their specific needs by including pop and global music from the larger edition of LISTENING TO MUSIC. Fully integrated with MindTap, the Second Edition gives students the ultimate anytime, anywhere personalized learning experience--and provides instructors with gradable activities. This edition's MindTap also includes new learning objectives to help students focus on key topics, engaging new animations created by Stephen Malinowski to open most chapters, new critical thinking items in each chapter, individual YouTube players, and instant audio for most examples in the book.
- The Second Edition's pedagogy is fully integrated with MindTap--giving students the ultimate personal learning experience and providing instructors with high-value gradable activities like Listening Exercises and quizzes.
- With just one click, new instant audio offers immediate access to most notated examples in the book.
- Delivering anywhere, anytime learning opportunities, MindTap's engaging, personalized online environment is accessible on laptops, tablets, and handheld devices. The points on the MindTap learning path are cued frequently in the text, wherever appropriate, to remind users to take advantage of its rich resources.
- New learning objectives help students focus on key topics--and maximize their course success.
- Created by renowned American composer Stephen Malinowski, of Music Animation Machine, animations provide engaging activities to open most chapters, quickly drawing students into the text material.
- New critical thinking quizzes are integrated in MindTap for each chapter, helping students think more deeply about music while sharpening their analytical skills.
- New videos and Active Listening Guides give students plenty of hands-on practice applying their new listening skills.
- Offering additional flexibility, full Listening Guides are now incorporated into MindTap and include a print-PDF option.
- Twelve new or reworked Listening Exercises provide in-depth quizzing on even more individual selections.
- New individual YouTube players are included with the Second Edition's MindTap.
- A brief, streamlined version of Wright's comprehensive LISTENING TO MUSIC, the Second Edition of THE ESSENTIAL LISTENING TO MUSIC (with Download Card) offers a succinct 16-chapter presentation of Western (or classical) music.
- Concise Listening Cues contain such key information as genre and form, "What to Listen For," and where to find full Listening Guides, interactive Active Listening Guides, and Listening Exercises in MindTap.
- References in the margins direct students to the interactive MindTap learning path.
- A renowned music historian, author Craig Wright has taught music appreciation for more than 30 years and leads Yale's online teaching initiative. By teaching the course every year--on the ground and online--he remains in touch with what today's students need to become personally engaged in the act of listening to music.
- The musical repertoire selected by Prof. Wright for this brief edition is praised by reviewers. All musical selections are available for streaming and as downloads.
- Popular music references are incorporated throughout, helping students easily relate classical music to music they are already familiar with.
- Full coverage of women as composers, performers, and patrons of music exposes students to the significant contributions of women to the music world. Coverage of women composers includes Hildegard of Bingen, Barbara Strozzi, Clara Schumann, and Ellen Zwilich.
- Instructor resources include lecture materials and Listening Guides for many additional works not covered in the text--giving instructors numerous options for teaching the repertoire they want.
2. Rhythm, Melody, and Harmony.
3. Color, Texture, and Form.
4. Music in the Middle Ages and Renaissance.
5. Baroque Art and Music.
6. Late Baroque Music: Bach and Handel.
7. Introduction to the Classical Style: Haydn and Mozart.
8. Classical Forms.
9. Classical Genres.
10. Beethoven: Bridge to Romanticism.
11. Romanticism and Romantic Chamber Music.
12. Romantic Orchestral Music.
13. Romantic Opera.
14. Late Romantic Orchestral Music.
15. European Impressionism and Modernism.
16. American Modernism and Postmodernism.
"The text almost precisely covers the amount of material that a student can absorb while using technology resources that are the preferred method of teaching and learning for today's classroom."
"This textbook is excellent. Efficient, succinct, engaging, page-turning, comprehensive, not overwhelming, interdisciplinary, intellectually intriguing, enriching, down-to-earth ... and the list goes on."
"I really like this text. I think it is the best one I have used up to this point. The three major strengths are its brevity, appropriate level of material, and listening exercises. … The text is quite brief and does not go into nearly as much depth and detail as previous editions or other texts I have reviewed and/or used. This is very good for the level of students I teach. The listening exercises provide an opportunity for the students to become actively engaged and involved in the listening and learning process."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Website with Instructor's Resource Manual, PowerPoint®
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, instructor's manual, word testbank files and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.