Request for consultation
THE ESSENCE OF ANTHROPOLOGY features an experienced and diverse author team with expertise in all subfields of anthropology. With an eye to visual and written clarity, the authors present anthropology from an integrated, holistic perspective. They use three unifying themes as a framework to tie the book together and keep students focused: systemic adaptation to emphasize that every culture, past and present, is an integrated and dynamic system of adaptation; biocultural connections that highlight the integration of human culture and biology in the steps humans take to meet the challenges of survival; and the emergence of globalization and its disparate impact on peoples and cultures around the world. Pedagogical elements support these main themes and give students deeper insight into the meaning and relevance of a wide range of topics covered in the general narrative by tying examples to behavior today. Insightful questions foster critical thinking, additional Visual Counterpoints widen the book's array of compare-and-contrast examples, and a new Digging into Anthropology feature provides a hands-on approach to anthropological methods by giving students active learning opportunities related to each chapter's content. In addition, the authors have broadened viewpoints to offer explanations and examples from different points of view.
- Data and examples have been updated throughout the text, less relevant material trimmed or cut, and the writing refined to make it all the more clear, lively, and engaging.
- More current examples better engage students and enable them to see the world through an anthropological lens.
- Each chapter opens with a new Visual Essence photograph and caption, and there are many new compelling pictures throughout the text.
- Now, nearly all chapters include new Visual Counterpoints highlighting the book's array of compare-and-contrast examples.
- A new Digging into Anthropology feature at the end of chapters provides a hands-on approach to anthropological methods by giving students active learning opportunities related to each chapter's content.
- The authors provide explanations and examples from different points of view so students can better evaluate their learning material.
- Visual Counterpoints provide students with opportunities to compare and contrast illustrative material, as well as to think critically about what they see in the world.
- Learning objectives under the heading "In this chapter you will learn to..." give students a tangible grip on the material to be covered and an understanding of the knowledge skills they are expected to develop while reading and studying.
- A Chapter Checklist concludes each chapter and poses questions with answers so students can study for exams.
2. Biology, Genetics, and Evolution.
3. Living Primates.
4. Human Evolution.
5. The Neolithic Revolution.
6. The Emergence of Cities and States.
7. Modern Human Diversity -- Race and Racism.
8. Characteristics of Culture.
9. Language and Communication.
10. Social Identity, Personality, and Gender.
11. Subsistence and Exchange.
12. Sex, Marriage, and Family.
13. Kinship and Other Forms of Grouping.
14. Politics, Power, and Violence.
15. Spirituality and Religion.
16. Global Changes and the Role of Anthropology.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank for THE ESSENCE OF ANTHROPOLOGY, Fourth Edition. The Instructor's Manual offers detailed chapter outlines, learning objectives, key terms and concepts, lecture suggestions, resources, and student Internet activities. A sample syllabus guides you in organizing your course. The fully revised test bank contains at least 120 test questions per chapter, including multiple choice, true/false, completion, short answer, and essay questions.
PowerPoint for THE ESSENCE OF ANTHROPOLOGY, Fourth Edition. Helping you make your classroom lecture more engaging, these PowerPoint slides consist of a pre-assembled, customizable Microsoft presentation using charts, graphs, line-art, and images from the text. New to this edition are "Consider This…" images with critical-thinking questions to facilitate class discussion.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning testing powered by Cognero. This is a flexible online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate test bank content from THE ESSENCE OF ANTHROPOLOGY, Fourth Edition or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
This student study site provides all the learning tools your students will need to succeed. Organized by chapter, online CourseMate includes glossaries, flashcards, quizzes, videos, an e-reader of the text, and more.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed with chapter-specific learning tools, including glossaries, flashcards, quizzes, videos, an e-reader of the text, and more -- online with CourseMate.