Request for consultation
THE ENDURING VISION's engaging narrative integrates political, social, and cultural history within a chronological framework. Known for its focus on the environment and the land, the text is also praised for its innovative coverage of cultural history, public health and medicine, and the West--including Native American history. The eighth edition incorporates new scholarship throughout, includes a variety of new photos, and brings the discussion fully up to date with coverage of the 2012 presidential campaign. Based on the popularity of the "Going to the Source" feature, which was introduced in the previous edition, additional "Going to the Source" selections are offered online in the eighth edition. Available in the following split options: THE ENDURING VISION, Eighth Edition Complete, Volume 1: To 1877, and Volume 2: Since 1865.
- The eighth edition incorporates new scholarship throughout the book, with updated bibliographies for each chapter.
- The design has been enhanced to provide improved readability with new colors and font treatments. The eighth edition also features a variety of new photos, as well as updates to select maps.
- Chronologies are now conveniently located at the beginning of every chapter to help set a chronological framework for students as they begin to read.
- Chapter 31 now includes coverage of the 2012 presidential campaign.
- Based on the popularity of the "Going to the Source" feature introduced in the previous edition, the eighth edition offers additional "Going to the Source" selections online.
- "Going to the Source" is a one-page excerpt of a primary source, highlighting issues related to the environment and the land. These appear throughout each chapter with analysis questions to serve as review. A rich selection of primary documents from speeches, diaries, and other writings are included.
- "Beyond America--Global Interactions" illustrated essays explore the worldwide context of key developments in American history, including Decolonization and the Cold War, and The Black Freedom Movement.
- "Technology and Culture" essays demonstrate the importance of these two forces in American history. Topics include flush toilets, and the Interstate Highway System.
16. Reconstruction and Resistance, 1865-1877.
17. The Transformation of the Trans-Mississippi West, 1860-1900.
18. The Rise of Industrial America, 1865-1900.
19. Immigration, Urbanization, and Everyday Life, 1860-1900.
20. Politics and Expansion in an Industrializing Age, 1877-1900.
21. The Progressive Era, 1900-1917.
22. Global Involvements and World War I, 1902-1920.
23. Coping with Change, 1920-1929.
24. The Great Depression and the New Deal, 1929-1939.
25. Americans and a World in Crisis, 1933-1945.
26. The Cold War Abroad and at Home, 1945-1960.
27. America at Midcentury, 1945-1961.
28. Liberalism, Civil Rights, and War in Vietnam, 1960-1975.
29. A Time of Upheaval, 1961-1980.
30. A Conservative Revival and the End of the Cold War, 1980-2000.
31. A Changing Nation: Homefront Crises and New Global Realities, 2001 to the Present.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, the instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.