Request for consultation
This fifth edition of THE CONCISE CENGAGE HANDBOOK provides up-to-date, realistic advice for today's digital-age students. Instructors and students alike will find it clearly written, thorough, easy to navigate, and indispensable for use in college courses and beyond. As the authors of several composition handbooks, Kirszner and Mandell are consistently praised for their instinct for teaching, clarity, and student-friendliness, successfully bringing their student-centered approach to their discussion of writing. This edition has been updated to reflect guidelines from the 2016 MLA HANDBOOK, Eighth Edition.
- The MLA documentation reflects significant changes in the new MLA HANDBOOK Eighth Edition, published in April 2016.
- Updated and expanded coverage of the rhetorical situation in Chapter 2, "Understanding the Rhetorical Situation," helps students make informed choices about content, emphasis, organization, format, style, and tone.
- Updated and expanded coverage of MLA and APA documentation styles in Chapters 47−48 includes numerous model citations that help students correctly apply the latest documentation guidelines when writing in various disciplines.
- New planning guides throughout the text help students plan and organize a range of documents in various genres.
- A new "Ten Habits of Successful Students" foldout illustrates and helps students apply the strategies of successful students both in and out of college.
- This remarkably accessible concise handbook features a clear, student-friendly style.
- The authors provide up-to-date, realistic advice for writing and researching in the digital age.
- THE CONCISE CENGAGE HANDBOOK features extensive treatment of writing and research with abundant student writing samples.
- The text includes the most current guidelines for MLA and APA documentation; an extensive writing-centered treatment of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics; a section on practical assignments (writing essay exams, writing in the workplace, designing documents, and composing in digital environments); a chapter addressing multilingual concerns; and many checklists, close-up boxes, and cross-references students can use to practice and improve their writing and research skills.
Part I: APPROACHING TEXTS.
1. Reading to Write.
2. Understanding the Rhetorical Situation.
5. Drafting and Revising.
6. Thinking Critically.
7. Composing an Argumentative Essay.
8. Composing a Literary Analysis.
Part II: COMPOSING IN VARIOUS GENRES.
9. Writing Essay Exams.
10. Writing in the Workplace.
11. Designing Effective Documents.
12. Composing in Digital Environments.
Part III: DEVELOPING PARAGRAPH AND SENTENCE STYLE.
13. Writing Effective Paragraphs.
14. Building Sentences.
15. Writing Varied Sentences.
16. Writing Emphatic Sentences.
17. Writing Concise Sentences.
18. Using Parallelism.
19. Choosing Words.
Part IV: UNDERSTANDING GRAMMAR.
20. Using the Parts of Speech.
21. Using Pronouns.
22. Using Verbs.
23. Using Adjectives and Adverbs.
24. Revising Fragments.
25. Revising Run-Ons.
26. Revising Agreement Errors.
27. Revising Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers.
28. Revising Awkward or Confusing Sentences.
Part V: UNDERSTANDING PUNCTUATION.
29. Using End Punctuation.
30. Using Commas.
31. Using Semicolons.
32. Using Apostrophes.
33. Using Quotation Marks.
34. Using Other Punctuation Marks.
Part VI: UNDERSTANDING SPELLING AND MECHANICS.
35. Improving Spelling.
36. Knowing When to Capitalize.
37. Using Italics.
38. Using Hyphens.
39. Using Abbreviations.
40. Using Numbers.
Part VII: CONDUCTING RESEARCH AND DOCUMENTING SOURCES.
41. Developing a Research Project.
42. Finding Information.
43. Evaluating Sources.
44. Summarizing, Paraphrasing, and Quoting Sources.
45. Synthesizing Sources.
46. Using Sources Ethically.
47. MLA Documentation Style.
48. APA Documentation Style.
Part VIII: COMPOSING FOR MULTILINGUAL WRITERS.
49. Grammar and Style for Multilingual Writers.
Glossary of Usage.
Answers to Selected Exercises.
For additional instructor support materials, go to login.cengage.com. The instructor's manual provides teaching suggestions, suggested answers to exercises, and a sample course syllabus to assist instructors in teaching the course.