Request for consultation
This seventh edition of THE POCKET CENGAGE HANDBOOK provides up-to-date, realistic advice for today's digital-age students. Instructors and students alike will find it clearly written, thorough, easy to navigate, and indispensable for use in college courses and beyond. As the authors of several composition handbooks, Kirszner and Mandell are consistently praised for their instinct for teaching, clarity, and student-friendliness, successfully bringing their student-centered approach to their discussion of writing. This edition has been updated to reflect guidelines from the 2016 MLA Handbook, Eighth Edition.
- The MLA documentation reflects significant changes in the new MLA HANDBOOK and book, Eighth Edition, published in April, 2016.
- Updated and expanded coverage of the rhetorical situation in Chapter 2, "Understanding the Rhetorical Situation," helps students make informed choices about content, emphasis, organization, format, style, and tone.
- Updated and expanded coverage of MLA, APA, Chicago, and CSE documentation styles in Chapters 10−13 includes numerous model citations that help students correctly apply the latest documentation guidelines when writing in various disciplines.
- New planning guides throughout the text help students plan and organize a range of documents in various genres.
- A new "Ten Habits of Successful Students" foldout illustrates and helps students apply the strategies of successful students both in and out of college.
- This remarkably accessible pocket handbook features a clear, student-friendly style.
- The authors provide up-to-date, realistic advice for writing and researching in the digital age.
- THE POCKET CENGAGE HANDBOOK features extensive treatment of writing and research with abundant student writing samples.
- The text includes the most current guidelines for MLA, APA, Chicago, and CSE documentation; an extensive writing-centered treatment of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics; a section on practical assignments (designing documents, composing in digital environments, writing in the workplace, developing and delivering presentations, and composing in the disciplines); a chapter addressing multilingual concerns; and many checklists, close-up boxes, and cross-references students can use to practice and improve their writing and research skills.
Part I: APPROACHING TEXTS.
1. Reading to Write.
2. Understanding the Rhetorical Situation.
3. Developing Essay Projects.
4. Writing an Argumentative Essay.
Part II: CONDUCTING RESEARCH.
5. Developing a Research Project.
6. Finding Information.
7. Evaluating Sources.
8. Integrating Source Material into Your Writing.
9. Using Sources Ethically.
Part III: DOCUMENTING SOURCES.
10. MLA Documentation Style.
11. APA Documentation Style.
12. Chicago Documentation Style.
13. CSE and Other Documentation Styles.
Part IV: WRITING GRAMMATICAL SENTENCES.
14. Revising Run-Ons.
15. Revising Fragments.
16. Understanding Agreement.
17. Using Verbs.
18. Using Pronouns.
19. Using Adjectives and Adverbs.
Part V: WRITING EFFECTIVE PARAGRAPHS AND SENTENCES.
20. Writing Effective Paragraphs.
21. Writing Varied Sentences.
22. Writing Concise Sentences.
23. Revising Awkward or Confusing Sentences.
24. Using Parallelism.
25. Placing Modifiers Carefully.
26. Choosing Words.
Part VI: UNDERSTANDING PUNCTUATION.
27. Using End Punctuation.
28. Using Commas.
29. Using Semicolons.
30. Using Apostrophes.
31. Using Quotation Marks.
32. Using Other Punctuation Marks.
Part VII: UNDERSTANDING SPELLING AND MECHANICS.
33. Becoming a Better Speller.
34. Knowing When to Capitalize.
35. Using Italics.
36. Using Hyphens.
37. Using Abbreviations.
38. Using Numbers.
Part VIII: COMPOSING IN VARIOUS GENRES.
39. Designing Effective Documents.
40. Composing in Digital Environments.
41. Writing in the Workplace.
42. Developing and Delivering Presentations.
43. Composing in the Disciplines.
Part IX: COMPOSING FOR MULTILINGUAL WRITERS.
44. Grammar and Style for Multilingual Writers.
Appendix A: Grammar Review.
Appendix B: Usage Review.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
For additional instructor support materials, go to login.cengage.com. The instructor's manual provides teaching suggestions, suggested answers to exercises, and a sample course syllabus to assist instructors in teaching the course.