Request for consultation
With a strong emphasis on hands-on learning, this highly practical text helps students develop the phlebotomy-related knowledge and skills they need to become confident, competent health care professionals. The Fifth Edition accelerates learning by following key topics immediately with relevant exercises, integrating workbook elements and textbook content to deliver a complete learning experience. The text covers the latest professional standards and competencies while thoughtfully connecting them to the realities of practice today. Step-by-step guidelines for more than 20 collection procedures are provided, along with real-life scenarios and prompts emphasizing the phlebotomist's legal and ethical role in patient care decisions. Full-color photographs highlight important steps and relevant equipment, while illustrations depict anatomical components critical to proper technique. In addition, the digital edition includes videos and interactive exercises ideal for today’s learners.
- To help students make the transition from classroom learning to careers as phlebotomy professionals, the author has expanded the "Helpful Hints" features connecting key concepts to actual practice, providing even more useful information.
- The Fifth Edition includes numerous updates to ensure content is consistent with the latest Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) guidelines and best-practice standards. In addition, content updates throughout the text provide coverage of cutting-edge technology and techniques, including infrared imaging of vein locations, expanded steps for proper patient identification, new guidelines for obtaining cooperation from pediatric patients, and using handheld devices to obtain lab orders.
- New step-by-step procedures include Donning a Mask, Gown, and Gloves; Hand Vein Venipuncture by Butterfly Collection System using a Syringe; Performing a Radial Arterial Blood Gas; Blood Culture Collection by Butterfly Tuberculin Skin Test; Intradermal Injection of Purified Protein Derivative (PPD); and Collecting a Sputum Sample.
- Complementing the illustrations and photographs available in the print edition, the digital edition also includes videos of procedures so students can see them performed properly step by step.
- In the Fifth Edition, exercises follow key topics immediately to encourage more rapid and effective learning, and interactive versions in the digital edition make the material still more engaging. This close integration of textbook content and workbook elements makes the text uniquely effective as a complete learning experience.
- Each chapter builds on the previous ones to create a learning experience that is progressive and thorough without being overwhelming. In addition, engaging activities in each chapter enable students to determine quickly if they have mastered the material before moving to the next section.
- The digital edition expands many of the exercises in the print edition of the textbook, making them more engaging and interactive for today’s learners.
- A variety of features to support learning are included throughout the text, including text boxes that highlight important points, step-by-step procedures and guidelines to reinforce skill development, competency checklists to identify key responsibilities, and review questions to help students assess their understanding of key concepts.
- Each chapter features a list of learning objectives and relevant National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) competencies to help guide students’ learning and prepare them for professional practice.
- Throughout the book, laboratory tests are explained in order to give students a better understanding of why samples are collected—and how variation in sample collection techniques can affect test results.
- The author emphasizes the relationship between sample procurement and the laboratory’s role in patient care, highlighting the importance of phlebotomists in helping the laboratory guide decisions that health care providers make about patient care.
- The text's visually appealing design includes more than 200 full-color photographs, illustrations, and identification charts (as well as videos in the digital edition), making it easier for students to engage with the material and hone critical skills.
1. Introduction to Phlebotomy.
2. Safety in Phlebotomy.
3. Basic Human Anatomy and Physiology.
4. Anatomy and Physiology of the Circulatory System.
5. Phlebotomy Equipment.
6. Phlebotomy Technique.
7. The Challenge of Phlebotomy.
8. Caring for the Pediatric Patient.
9. Sample Considerations and Special Procedures.
10. Sample Preparation and Handling.
11. Customer Service.
12. Legal and ethical issues.
Appendix A: NAACLS Phlebotomist Competencies.
Appendix B: Frequently Ordered Laboratory Tests.
Appendix C: Blood Volume and Maximum Draw.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, instructor’s manual, Study Guides, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.