Request for consultation
Grounded in the latest research and best practices, THE CHALLENGE OF EFFECTIVE SPEAKING IN A DIGITAL AGE, 17th Edition, emphasizes the role of technology and digital media in all aspects of preparing, presenting, and interpreting public speeches in face-to-face and online environments. Building on a strong tradition of skills-based public speaking instruction, this bestseller's six Speech Plan Action Steps skillfully guide students through topic selection, audience analysis and adaptation, research, organization, presentational aids, and language and delivery. The authors provide an exceptional foundation to help students create and deliver speeches, including hands-on activities, techniques to address anxiety, practice grappling with ethical issues speakers face, and critical-thinking prompts that urge thinking logically about the speechmaking process. In addition, MindTap® Speech digital learning solution equips students with an accessible reader and wide range of study tools.
- NEW! Completely updated to reflect the best practices from the field, THE CHALLENGE OF EFFECTIVE SPEAKING IN A DIGITAL AGE, 17th Edition, packs a stronger emphasis on the powerful role digital media and technology play in all aspects of preparing, presenting, and interpreting public speeches. Chapter 1 opens with a discussion of how technology shapes speechmaking today, sample speeches about technology-related topics appear throughout the book, and various examples address technology-related challenges in face-to-face and online public speaking settings.
- NEW! Each sample formal speech outline now includes commentary in the margins, a sample preparation outline, and sample note cards with keyword outlines or notes. (See chapters 1, 2, 5, 8, 11, 12, and 14.) Also Chapter 14, "Persuasive Speaking," provides an example of the notes featured in a PowerPoint slideshow.
- NEW! Presenting chapter concepts in the context of real-life practice, Public Speaking in the Real World topics are integrated throughout the text. Chapter 3 on listening includes "What Former President Bill Clinton Can Teach Us About Listening and Success" and Chapter 6's coverage of topic development includes "Filmmakers and NASA Team Up to Do Research for 'The Martian.'"
- NEW! Mirroring recent headlines, all-new Reflect on Ethics topics include "Yahoo CEO Agreed to Resign Over Inaccurate Resume" (Chapter 2); "Jim Cramer and CNBC's Mad Money," (Chapter 4); "Academy Awards Host Chris Rock: Ethical or Not?" (Chapter 8); and "Super Bowl Advertisement Ethics: Where Should the Line Be Drawn?" (Chapter 13).
- NEW! Speech Planning boxes are more streamlined and Speech Assignment & Checklist boxes are more simplified -- providing student-friendly tools to maximize success.
- Early and strong coverage in Chapter 2 explains causes of speech apprehension as well as equips students with clear strategies and tactics for becoming confident speakers.
- Short Reflect on Ethics case studies present a real-world ethical challenge -- such as plagiarism, ethical use of statistics and emotion, and appropriate uses of presentational aids -- prompting students to think through speakers' ethical dilemmas before they personally come face to face with them.
- YouSeeU: Practice & Present is an online speech video submission, recording and grading program that gives individual assessments and lets students practice their skills and get feedback from their instructor and peers.
- Outline Builder guides students through speech preparation from topic generation to research and note-card prep. Each stage in the process is accompanied by critical thinking prompts.
- Speech Video Library gives students experience evaluating and critiquing speeches. Each speech is paired with critical thinking questions, a transcript, a sample outline and sample notecards.
- Using the latest communication research and theory as its foundation, THE CHALLENGE OF EFFECTIVE SPEAKING IN A DIGITAL AGE, 17th Edition, includes thorough coverage of listening, the integration of the rhetorical situation as it applies to the steps of the speechmaking process, and thesis versus preview statements to help give students a deeper understanding of the skills they are learning.
- Speech Plan Action Steps guide students through a step-by-step preparation process -- resulting in significantly stronger speeches. The exercises are supplemented by in-text and online examples of each activity prepared by other students.
- Sample student speech outlines on contemporary topics provide examples of typical beginning student performances and help learners assess their own progress, while accompanying speech assignment activities, sample speaking outline notecards, and interactive exercises equip them with tools for improvement. In addition, Speech Evaluation Checklists ensure students gain a solid understanding of the new speechmaking skills they are learning with each assignment.
- Thorough coverage of audience analysis begins in Chapter 1, showing speech effectiveness is determined by the speaker's ability to adapt the message to the rhetorical situation. Chapter 4 offers in-depth treatment of the audience analysis process. Chapter 5 describes specific ways to adapt material to each audience. Chapter 6 discusses how to select sources that best fulfill the speaker's goal for the audience and occasion. Chapter 9 focuses on how to create the most effective presentational aids. Chapters 10 and 11 explain how to adapt language choices based on the audience and situation.
1. Foundations of Public Speaking.
2. Your First Speech.
Part II: PRINCIPLES.
4. Determining an Appropriate Speech Goal.
5. Adapting to Audiences.
6. Topic Development.
7. Organizing the Speech Body.
8. The Introduction and Conclusion.
9. Presentational Aids.
10. Language and Oral Style.
Part III: INFORMATIVE AND PERSUASIVE SPEAKING.
12. Informative Speaking.
13. Persuasive Messages.
14. Persuasive Speaking.
Part IV: ADAPTING TO OTHER OCCASIONS AND FORMATS.
15. Ceremonial Speaking.
16. Group Communication and Presentations.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.