Request for consultation
Completely integrated with NEW online tools that actively prepare students to create effective speeches and NEW brief in-text speech elements that address the way today's students learn, the 15th edition of THE CHALLENGE OF EFFECTIVE SPEAKING is a valuable teaching partner for your course. Pioneers in skills-based public speaking instruction, Verderber and Verderber have perfected their book's "Speech Planning Action Steps," which resourcefully guide students through speech creation as they progress through six Action Steps--topic selection, audience analysis and adaptation, effective research, organization, visual aids, and language and delivery. The Verderbers, together with new coauthor Deanna D. Sellnow, have enhanced this nationwide best seller in many ways. The authors give your students an exceptional foundation for creating and delivering their speeches, including the latest research, numerous in-text activities, more techniques to help them address anxiety and ethical issues that speakers face, new critical-thinking and reflection prompts that help students think logically about the speech-making process, and much more.
- "Putting Speaking Skills to Work" is a new application featuring interviews with people from all sorts of professions about how they use public speaking skills on the job.
- New design.
- Features an increased coverage of speech anxiety.
- Superb, engaging coverage of audience analysis begins in Chapter 1, showing students that speech effectiveness is determined by the speaker's ability to understand and adapt the message of the speech to the audience and the context. Chapter 4 offers in-depth treatment of the audience analysis process. Chapter 5 describes specific ways a speaker can adapt material to each audience.
- Early and strong coverage of speech apprehension in reviewer-praised Chapter 2, "Developing Confidence Through the Speech Planning Process," explains causes of speech apprehension and presents students with clear strategies and tactics for becoming a confident speaker.
- Short Reflect on Ethics case studies depict an ethical challenge (such as plagiarism, ethical use of statistics and emotion, and appropriate uses of visual aids) that speakers often face, allowing students to think through speakers' ethical dilemmas.
- Sample Speeches chosen to realistically depict typical beginning student performances, accompanied by speech assignment activities, sample adaption plans, full-sentence outlines, Interactive Video Activities, and Speech Evaluation Checklists lay out clear speech direction and help with evaluation. The checklists provide students with an understanding of the new speechmaking skills demonstrated with each assignment.
- CengageNOW is a powerful online tool for teaching, learning, and assessing that gives you more control and better outcomes in less time! CengageNOW is seamlessly integrated with Interactive Video Activities, giving students thorough guidance as they move through the speech-making process. With diagnostic pre-tests and an integrated grade book, CengageNOW makes it easy for you to track students' progress.
- Many full-length sample speeches accompanied by speech assignment activities, sample adaption plans, full-sentence outlines, Interactive Video Activities, as well hundreds of NEW Speech Snippet features in the margins, reinforce student learning by illustrating adjacent concepts in the text, complemented by speech video snippets located on CengageNOW.
- An even greater emphasis used throughout the text helps students think critically about their speech preparation and delivery. Included are NEW What's Ahead questions in the chapter openers as well as NEW critical thinking activities in the Spotlight on Speakers boxes that you can assign. These activities help students apply skills described in the book in context as those skills apply to students' own lives.
- Timely new and updated material throughout the text makes your cutting-edge course appealing to students, including new speech effectiveness criteria, greatly expanded coverage of audience analysis, expanded coverage of public-speaking anxiety and techniques for reducing apprehension, and public speaking and technology (how to evaluate Websites and what makes a good PowerPoint® presentation).
- An even stronger underpinning of the latest research and theory--including incorporation of the concept of the "speaking situation" as it applies to the steps of the speech process, new coverage of the Venn diagram, concept mapping, and thesis versus preview statements--helps you give students a deeper understanding of the skills they are learning.
- The text is completely integrated with updated Speech Builder Express™ 3.0, the online coach for speech organization and outlining that helps students think critically about the choices they make for their speeches. In-text prompts direct students to use Speech Builder Express™ where appropriate; and Speech Builder is fully assignable, so you can measure students' performance.
2. Developing Confidence Through the Speech Planning Process.
3. Effective Listening.
4. Determining a Speech Goal that Meets Audience Needs.
5. Adapting to Audience.
6. Researching Information for Your Speech.
7. Organizing and Outlining the Speech.
8. Completing the Outline: Creating the Introduction and the Conclusion.
9. Creating and Using Visual Aids.
10. Practicing Speech Wording.
11. Practicing Delivery.
12. Informative Speaking.
13. Persuasive Speaking: Reasoning with Your Audience.
14. Persuasive Speaking: Motivating the Audience.
15. Ceremonial Speaking: Speeches for Special Occasions.
16. Increasing the Effectiveness of Problem Solving Discussion.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.