Request for consultation
The Fifteenth Edition of this trusted text focuses on preparing students for employment in today's increasingly dynamic, digital, and global environment. The authors emphasize helping students to understand employers' expectations; build confidence; and develop the knowledge and skills necessary to become strong, competent employees and leaders. THE ADMINISTRATIVE PROFESSIONAL: TECHNOLOGY AND PROCEDURES, Fifteenth Edition, features updated content, an appealing design, an abundance of practical applications, and a new MindTap® website to enhance learning and engage students right from the start.
- The text integrates 21st Century Skills closely with chapter material, using color-coded icons within the text to identify the skills and correlating assignments with student outcomes in an intuitive table.
- MindTap® Office Technology for The Administrative Professional is available with the Fifteenth Edition, enabling a personalized teaching experience with relevant assignments that guide students in analyzing ideas, applying knowledge, and improving thinking. By seamlessly integrating course material with videos, activities, apps, and more, MindTap® creates a unique learning path that fosters increased comprehension, inspires students to produce their best work consistently, and allows you to measure skills and outcomes with ease.
- The instructor resources feature suggestions for teaching in online, hybrid, and web-facilitated environments, including effective instructional strategies for each environment and recommended online resources and software.
- Boxed features in each chapter bring the content to life and emphasize real-world applications. For example, "Dear Savvy Admin" columns answer questions about soft skills in the workplace using an engaging "Dear Abby" format.
- A variety of "@ Work" features offer tips and information on essential topics such as communication skills, effective written communication, people encountered on the job, and technology (including issues such as security updates, worms, firewalls, blogs, and web searches). "Workplace Wisdom" boxes offer practical advice on communication, ethics, decision making, and other topics.
- The authors have included numerous activities and features to encourage engagement with chapter material and reinforce learning. Each chapter concludes with a summary of main points to help students review effectively and assess their learning, and discussion questions are provided to foster classroom interaction. For engagement on a deeper level, critical-thinking cases present challenging situations that may arise in the workplace and invite students to apply their knowledge and skills to explore possible courses of action and determine a workable solution to the problem.
- End-of-chapter activities are correlated to learning objectives and 21st Century Skills such as learning and innovation, media and technology, and life and career. Specific activities focus on building workplace skills (solving problems, making ethical decisions, and improving soft skills), communicating clearly (in speech, writing, and presentations), developing effective relationships, and using technology (including common software such as Microsoft® Office). The "Above & Beyond" activity allows students to expand their skills and explore additional topics and exercises related to the chapter.
1. Entering the Workforce.
2. Becoming a Professional.
3. Managing and Organizing Yourself.
Part II: THE WORKPLACE ENVIRONMENT.
4. Working Ethically.
5. Understanding the Workplace Team.
6. Developing Customer Focus.
Part III: COMMUNICATION--THE KEY TO SUCCESS.
7. Improving Communication Skills.
8. Communicating with Technology.
9. Developing Presentation Skills.
10. Planning Meetings and Events.
Part IV: RECORDS MANAGEMENT, TRAVEL, AND FINANCES.
11. Managing Physical Records.
12. Managing Electronic Records and Mail.
13. Coordinating Business Travel.
14. Understanding Financial Documents.
Part V: CAREER SUCCESS.
15. Seeking Employment.
16. Leading with Confidence.
“I like this book--it has a lot of content in a smaller package than some books. The content is pretty straightforward, which I like, and I am comfortable requiring students to read the chapters knowing that most everything in the chapter is pertinent information.”
“I think this is a very well developed book that is very understandable to my students. Everything is relevant for the course and the objectives required.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course is in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download slide presentations, an instructor's manual, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.