Request for consultation
Thoroughly mapped to the sixth edition of the Core Curriculum, SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY FOR THE SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST: A POSITIVE CARE APPROACH, 5e, delivers the most trusted, up-to-date, and comprehensive resource for helping students anticipate the patient's and surgeon's needs before, during, and after a surgical procedure. Written by the Association of Surgical Technologists, the text begins with essential topics such as equipment and supplies, operative preparation, practical and technical considerations, and postoperative considerations. It uses detailed, full-color medical artwork and live surgery images to thoroughly cover over 200 of the most critical surgical procedures. Helping students maximize their course success, the text also provides numerous learning resources, including "A POSITIVE CARE" memory tool, real-life case studies with critical thinking questions, and the powerful digital learning solution MindTap® for Surgical Technology.
- Two new comprehensively illustrated procedures have been added: nephrectomy and lumbar laminectomy.
- Chapter 21, Orthopedic Surgery, now includes additional information on bone tissue as well as significant updates to the table on orthopedic pathologies and the coverage of total hip arthroplasty using the posterolateral approach.
- Chapter 23, Peripheral Vascular Surgery, has added surgical anatomy and pathology for angioplasty, abdominal aortic aneurysm with graft, aortofemoral, femoropopliteal bypass, and arteriovenuous fistula and shunt procedures.
- Helping student maximize their course success, the accompanying Study Guide/Lab Manual has been completely revised so that it precisely correlates with the text curriculum.
- In Chapter 1, Orientation to Surgical Technology, the section on the surgical team has been completely rewritten and reorganized.
- Chapter 5, Physical Environment and Safety Standards, includes additional details about operating room furniture (including back table, mayo stands, ring stands and anesthesia cart) as well as new safety guidelines for ionizing radiation, electrical hazards, fire hazards, Laser fire hazards, and sharps.
- Chapter 6 is now titled Biomedical Science and Minimally Invasive Surgery to reflect its expanded focus on minimally invasive surgery.
- Chapter 11 is now titled Hemostasis, Wound Healing, and Wound Closure to highlight its emphasis on hemostasis.
- Chapter 12, Surgical Case Management, includes added information on the admissions process, circulator roles and responsibilities, pre-op hygiene, patient transfer to OR, transfer and positioning to OR table, thermoregulatory devices, vital signs, positioning the surgical patient, and urinary catheterization. New positioning specifics -- including reason for use, benefits, and potential hazards -- have been added to all the surgical position techniques.
- Chapter 13 includes new details on patient data sources, history and physical examination, diagnostic imaging, plain radiography, mammography, MRI, plethysmography and phleborheography, ECG, EKG, EEG, EMG, intraoperative neuromonitoring, urinalysis, bacteriological tests, culture and sensitivity, gram stain, incisional and excisional biopsy, care of surgical specimens, ionizing radiation, radiopaque contrast media imaging, CAT scan, fluoroscopy, urography, radio isotope imaging, positron emission topography, scintigraphy, pulmonary assessment, needle biopsy, washings and brush specimens, centesis and fluid analysis, and spinal tap.
- Chapter 14, General Surgery, includes updated information on bowel technique as well as expanded coverage of laparoscopic instrumentation, supplies, appendicitis, laparoscopic appendectomy, open cholecystectomy with cholangiogram, hernias, and more.
- Chapter 16, Ophthalmic Surgery, adds new details for several procedures, including iridectomy, strabismus correction: recession/resection, dacryocystorhinostomy, keratoplasty (corneal transplant), extracapsular cataract extraction, and hemorrhoidectomy.
- Preparing students for what they will experience in real-world practice, technique boxes highlight skills required in most operative procedures, such as donning and removing surgical attire and setting up the operating room.
- Offering valuable insight from seasoned practitioners, Pearls of Wisdom from surgical technologists in the field equip students with practical knowledge that can only come from years of on-the-job experience.
- Case studies with critical thinking questions open and close each chapter with real-life applications -- helping students put what they learn into practice.
- The innovative "A Positive CARE" memory tool helps students reinforce their thought process.
- Extremely student friendly, the text includes full-color anatomy and surgical procedure drawings to ensure learners gain a thorough understanding of key concepts.
- End-of-chapter Questions for Further Study challenge students to apply the concepts covered before they progress to the next topics.
1. Orientation to Surgical Technology.
2. Legal Concepts, Risk Management, and Ethical Issues.
3. The Surgical Patient.
4. Special Populations.
5. Physical Environment and Safety Standards.
SECTION 2: PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE OF SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY.
6. Biomedical Science and Minimally Invasive Surgery.
7. Preventing Perioperative Disease Transmission.
8. Emergency Situations and All-Hazards Preparation.
9. Surgical Pharmacology and Anesthesia.
10. Instrumentation, Equipment, and Supplies.
11. Hemostasis, Wound Healing, and Wound Closure.
12. Surgical Case Management.
SECTION 3: SURGICAL PROCEDURES.
13. Diagnostic Procedures.
14. General Surgery.
15. Obstetric and Gynecologic Surgery.
16. Ophthalmic Surgery.
17. Otorhinolaryngologic Surgery.
18. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
19. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
20. Genitourinary Surgery.
21. Orthopedic Surgery.
22. Cardiothoracic Surgery.
23. Peripheral Vascular Surgery.
Appendix A: Anatomy Plates.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Study Guide with Lab Manual
The study guide includes lab activities for each chapter to inspire learning in creative and practical ways, detailed skill assessments for tracking performance, image-labeling exercises to build knowledge of instruments and anatomy, and case studies with related questions to develop critical thinking skills.
Study Guide with Lab Manual
The study guide includes lab activities for each chapter that inspire learning through creative and practical applications, hundreds of questions in each chapter to help reinforce and test your understanding of the concepts, image-labeling exercises to build your knowledge of instruments and anatomy, and case studies with related questions to develop and sharpen your critical thinking skills.