Request for consultation
Featuring a practical "hands-on" approach that blends skill-building opportunities with traditional management principles, Mosley, Mosley, and Pietri's SUPERVISORY MANAGEMENT, 9e helps prepare your students to become effective supervisors in today's workplace. Readable, engaging, and offering a practical focus on developing successful supervisors, the Ninth Edition of SUPERVISORY MANAGEMENT inspires students--emphasizing the positive approach of working cooperatively WITH people to develop and empower them to better perform in their working roles. The authors consistently adhere to the federal government SCANS (Secretary's Commission on Achieving Necessary Skills) requirements for workplace competencies, and the chapter-ending Skill Builder exercises clearly demonstrate how they contribute to the students' development of these skills. Chapter-opening Preview Cases give students real-world examples of chapter concepts. These cases are referred to in chapter narrative and in Self-Check questions, helping students link principle and concept as they progress through each chapter. Chapter-ending cases reinforce concepts with real-world supervisory examples. Including new and updated topics throughout and many course preparation and presentation tools for instructors, the Ninth Edition of this best-selling text is both an essential teaching tool and learning resource that students will turn to even after completing your course.
- Broader examples of supervisory & organizational settings, including vignettes on the challenges and successes of Mark Zuckerberg.
- Based on faculty and student feedback, chapters 14, 15, and 16 were significantly changed to include coverage of employee training, an emphasis on legal issues, and lean manufacturing principles.
- Greater emphasis on skill development through updated Skill Builder exercises.
- Diversity Coverage: The text covers issues ranging from gender, ethnicity, and race as well as examining issues posed by different generations of workers.
- The Integrated Teaching/Learning System reinforces learning by organizing chapter material according to chapter-opening Learning Objectives and providing Self Check questions throughout each chapter. The Self Check questions function like an internal study guide--helping students test their understanding of concepts as they progress through the chapter. The Instructor's Manual and Test Bank, which are available to accompany the text, are also organized around the "Integrated Teaching/Learning System."
- Group Activities, Chapter Review, and Questions for Review and Discussion encourage students to reflect upon what they have read in a way that will help them better understand and learn the material.
- Praised in previous editions, the chapter-opening Preview Cases illustrate a major chapter topic or topics with a fascinating workplace scenario--piquing students' interest in the real-world usefulness of the skills and principles they will be learning in the chapter.
- Focus on SCANS Competencies: A set of five icons that represent the five core areas of SCANS Competencies--Use of Resources, Interpersonal Skills, Information Management, Use of Technology, and Understanding Systems--are now used to indicate how each end-of-chapter Skill Builder helps students meet these five core competencies. A correlation guide is available to instructors to help them choose the exercises that support the competency being taught.
- Emerging Topics: Cutting-edge coverage updates every chapter, including material on critical topics such as emerging technologies, the rising importance of innovation and creativity, new trends in training, and a greater emphasis on ethics and legal issues.
- Diversity of Examples: The authors have added even more examples, applications, and cases that focus on a broader range of companies, industries, and regions.
- Praised by instructors nationwide as an eminently teachable book, as well as an understandable hands-on resource for students, SUPERVISORY MANAGEMENT, 9e gives them the right mix of basic management principles and real-world material, including applications that help them develop their supervisory skills.
- Chapter-opening Preview Cases and chapter-ending cases, as well as many examples and applications throughout, illustrate how concepts apply to real-world work environments.
1. Supervisory Management Roles and Challenges.
Part II: PLANNING AND ORGANIZING.
2. Fundamentals of Planning.
3. Decision Making, Problem Solving, and Ethics.
4. Fundamentals of Organizing.
5. Delegating Authority and Empowering Employees.
Part III: LEADING.
9. Group Development and Team Building.
Part IV: SKILL DEVELOPMENT.
10. Meetings and Facilitation Skills.
11. Coaching for Higher Performance.
12. Managing Conflict, Stress, and Time.
Part V: CONTROLLING.
13. Exercising Control.
14. Controlling Productivity, Quality, and Safety.
Part VI: MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES AND DIVERSITY.
15. Selecting, Appraising, and Disciplining Employees.
16. The Supervisor, Labor Relations, and Legal Issues.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Management CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Management CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes--online with CourseMate.