Request for consultation
Help students differentiate themselves in a competitive marketplace with SUPERVISION: CONCEPTS AND PRACTICES OF MANAGEMENT, 13E. A blend of traditional management concepts and emerging insights, the text draws from both authors' firsthand business experience to deliver the leadership skills hiring managers want but rarely find in new recruits. This comprehensive single source for supervisory management expertise addresses the most critical challenges in business today, including globalization, economic turbulence, transitional and temporary workers, virtual employees, technology, outsourcing, and downsizing. Hands-on and practical, the text complements chapter readings with skill-building techniques and captivating video cases from well-known organizations, which let students experience supervisory roles themselves. Special attention to diversity and ethics also helps students develop a better sense of life beyond the classroom and enhances the text's thorough coverage of communication, decision making, conflict resolution, and other essential supervisory skills.
- Dynamic new author team: Kelly A. Trusty joins Ed Leonard. Dr. Trusty's enthusiasm, technological expertise, and real-world experiences make her a perfect fit in delivering new up-to-date coverage in a format that is easy to read and understand.
- All video clips have been revised and offer up-to-date coverage of real-world companies and situations, offering an alternative approach for students to learn more about the application of supervisory skills and concepts.
- More than 50% of new "You Make the Call" chapter-opening vignettes have been completely revised.
- There is new coverage in areas such as health and safety, global organizations, and management of remote employees, as well as an increased focus on ethics.
- Personal and team skill-building activities have been updated.
- Chapter-Opening Cases: These popular vignettes of real business challenges immediately draw students into current supervisory issues, encouraging them to delve deeper into chapter material to solve problem situations. Most (more than 50%) of these Opening Cases have been completely revised.
- Efficient Course Preparation System: A hallmark strength of SUPERVISION: CONCEPTS AND PRACTICES OF MANAGEMENT, 13E, the integrated learning system organizes the text and supplements around central learning objectives to streamline course preparation and guide students to the right areas of study.
- Critical-Thinking Applications: Proven applications in each chapter require students to assess, analyze, and develop supervisory strategies--and develop unexpected yet efficient solutions.
- Memorable Supervisory Tips: Drawn from the authors' extensive firsthand experience, these suggestions highlight some of the most important skills in supervisory management today, providing students with practical skills they can use immediately and in their future careers.
1. The Supervisory Challenge.
2. The Management Functions.
3. Supervisory Planning.
4. Supervising a Diverse Workforce.
Critical Incidents Part I.
Part II: ESSENTIALS OF EFFECTIVE SUPERVISION.
5. Leadership and Followership.
6. Communicating in a Noisy World.
7. Principles of Motivating Followers.
8. Solving Problems, Making Decisions and Managing Change.
Critical Incidents Part II.
Part III: ORGANIZING, STAFFING, MANAGING AND MEASURING FOR SUCCESS.
9. The Principles of Organizing.
10. Empowering Employees for Success.
11. Building Effective Teams.
12. Performance Management.
Critical Incidents Part III.
Part IV: CONTROLLING AND MANAGING PERFORMANCE AND CONFLICT.
13. Fundamentals of Controlling.
14. Resolving Conflicts.
15. Positive Discipline.
Critical Incidents Part IV.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
When you adopt SUPERVISION: CONCEPTS AND PRACTICES OF MANAGEMENT, 13E, students get access to a variety of online learning and study tools, including key-term study aids and essential materials for online reference. You also receive access to the Instructor's Manual, Test Bank, PowerPoint® slides, and additional cases.
New video clips! The video package for SUPERVISION: CONCEPTS AND PRACTICES OF MANAGEMENT, 13E contains 15 video clips--one per chapter--varying in length from five to nine minutes each. These videos bring all of the theoretical supervisory management concepts to life by showing how real supervisors grapple with actual management situations. Featuring an impressive selection of forward-thinking, ethically based companies, these new videos offer real-world business acumen and valuable learning experiences from an array of businesses. (Note: Because videos are still being selected, we cannot list specific company names at this time.)
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your learning management system, your classroom, or wherever you want!