Request for consultation
This comprehensive and engaging text presents strategic management scholarship in a way that is very accessible to students. Highly respected authors Hill, Schilling, and Jones integrate cutting-edge research on topics including competitive advantage, corporate governance, diversification, strategic leadership, technology and innovation, and corporate social responsibility through both theory and case studies. Based on real-world practices and current thinking in the field, the 12th edition of STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT features an increased emphasis on the changing global economy and its role in strategic management. The appendix walks students through the case-analysis process and explains key ratios that managers use to compare the performance of firms. The MindTap® learning solution is designed to meet the unique needs of this course area and will prepare your students to become the next generation of strategic leaders. Built on the Gradual Release of Responsibility instructional model, the customizable learning path contains assignments that require students to work through scaffolded activities that build their critical thinking skills.
- Chapter 3 on competitive advantage has been revised to clarify the role of resources (factors of production) in the establishment of a firm's competitive advantage. Jay Barney's VRIO model is also explicitly discussed for the first time.
- Chapter 5 on business level strategy has been further revised to streamline the presentation, tighten up the discussion of business level strategies, introduce the concept of value innovation, and discuss the implication of "blue ocean strategy" for business level strategy choices.
- Chapters 12 and 13 have been combined into one chapter (now Chapter 12) and the presentation has been significantly tightened to focus on the key issues.
- To ensure the highest quality, Charles Hill and Melissa Shilling wrote all of the cases in this edition. Twenty full-length cases and 12 shorter cases cover all relevant issues discussed in the text. Cases are available for use in the MindTap® digital learning solution for this book, as well as by custom order.
- MindTap®: This comprehensive digital learning solution is designed to elevate thinking and develop tomorrow's strategic leaders. After carefully studying this course area and talking to instructors and students across the country, we've created an immersive learning experience tailored specifically to the objectives of strategic management. The fully-customizable learning path provides a scaffolded set of learning activities that engages students with content, and increases in depth and complexity as they progress through the assignments for each chapter.
1. Strategic Leadership: Managing the Strategy-Making Process for Competitive Analysis.
2. External Analysis: The Identification of Opportunities and Threats.
Part II: THE NATURE OF COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE.
3. Internal Analysis: Resources and Competitive Advantage.
4. Building Competitive Advantage Through Functional-Level Strategy.
Part III: STRATEGIES.
5. Building Competitive Advantage Through Business-Level Strategy.
6. Business-Level Strategy and the Industry Environment.
7. Strategy and Technology.
8. Strategy in the Global Environment.
9. Corporate-Level Strategy: Horizontal Integration, Vertical Integration, and Strategic Outsourcing.
10. Corporate-Level Strategy: Related and Unrelated Diversification.
Part IV: IMPLEMENTING STRATEGY.
11. Corporate, Governance, Social Responsibility and Ethics.
12. Implementing Strategy through Organization.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
The companion website for instructors contains everything you need to prepare your course, including PowerPoint slides, test banks, case notes, and videos. The instructor's manual has been reworked end-to-end to give you comprehensive support in creating engaging learning experiences for your students. We'll give you tips and techniques for integrating the MindTap® learning suite into your course, and whether you flip your classroom, teach in a Socratic discussion format, lecture, or exclusively online, we'll help you design your course to meet your needs and those of your students.
Instructor's Resource DVD
This DVD contains a compiled a set of videos that correlate with each chapter. The videos are sourced from BBC and show clips from curated sources that present a company facing the challenges and/or implementing the concepts presented in this text. The videos also appear in the MindTap® learning suite, so students will be able to view the videos within this environment.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for Hill/Schilling/Jones' Strategic Management: Theory & Cases: An Integrated Approach
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.