Request for consultation
This leading strategy text presents the complexities of strategic management through up-to-date scholarship and hands-on applications. Highly respected authors Charles Hill, Gareth Jones, and Melissa Schilling integrate cutting-edge research on topics including corporate performance, governance, strategic leadership, technology, and business ethics through both theory and case studies. Based on real-world practices and current thinking in the field, the eleventh edition of STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT features an increased emphasis on the changing global economy and its role in strategic management. The high-quality case study program contains 31 cases covering small, medium, and large companies of varying backgrounds.
- The eleventh edition of STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT adds difficulty levels to the cases to eliminate trepidation on the part of the student. Additionally, there is a greater use of international cases. Content on ethics and corporate responsibility has been heavily revised, and there is an increased emphasis on finance and accounting.
- New "Focus on Wal-Mart" feature puts the spotlight on Wal-Mart's strategic operations throughout every chapter.
- The end-of-text cases selected for this edition will appeal to students and professors alike, both because these cases are intrinsically interesting and because of the number of strategic management issues they illuminate. The organizations discussed in the cases range from large, well-known companies, for which students can do research to update the information, to small, entrepreneurial businesses that illustrate the uncertainty and challenge of the strategic management process. The selections include many international cases, and most of the other cases contain some element of global strategy.
- CengageNOW™: This robust, online course management system gives you more control in less time and delivers better student outcomes. CengageNOW™ includes teaching and learning resources organized around lecturing, creating assignments, grading, quizzing, and tracking student progress and performance. Flexible assignment options include BizLX simulations, Video Cases, Experiential Exercises, and Case Analysis questions (including full cases). Automatic grading and a gradebook option provide more control while saving you valuable time. A Personalized Study diagnostic tool empowers students to master concepts, prepare for exams, and become more involved in class. CengageNOW™ can work with your current course management system, and in many cases can be integrated with your current course management system to provide a thorough experience for your students!
- Write Experience: Cengage Learning's Write Experience is the first in higher education to offer students the opportunity to improve their writing and analytical skills without adding to your workload. Offered through an exclusive agreement with Vantage Learning, creator of the software used for GMAT essay grading, Write Experience evaluates students' answers to a select set of assignments for writing for voice, style, format, and originality. For more information about this unique course solution, contact your local sales representative or visit http://www.cengage.com/writeexperience.Better Writing. Better Outcomes. Write Experience.
- A focus on technology with the "Strategy Sign-On" end-of-chapter feature allows students to complete research projects and maintain a Strategic Management portfolio.
- Opening Cases begin each chapter and build the foundation for student comprehension in each chapter.
- "Strategy in Action" features highlight key organizations implementing chapter-specific strategic management processes.
- Ethical exercises provide a comprehensive look at the chapter concepts and ask students to consider ethical ramifications of management decisions.
- Closing Cases end each chapter and provide in-class discussion opportunities.
1. Strategic Leadership: Managing the Strategy-Making Process for Competitive Analysis.
2. External Analysis: The Identification of Opportunities and Threats.
Part II: THE NATURE OF COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE.
3. Internal Analysis: Distinctive Competencies, Competitive Advantage, and Profitability.
4. Building Competitive Advantage Through Functional-Level Strategy.
Part III: STRATEGIES.
5. Building Competitive Advantage Through Business-Level Strategy.
6. Business-Level Strategy and the Industry Environment.
7. Strategy and Technology.
8. Strategy in the Global Environment.
9. Corporate-Level Strategy: Horizontal Integration, Vertical Integration, and Strategic Outsourcing.
10. Corporate-Level Strategy: Related and Unrelated Diversification.
Part IV: IMPLEMENTING STRATEGY.
11. Corporate Performance, Governance, and Business Ethics.
12. Implementing Strategy in Companies that Compete in a Single Industry.
13. Implementing Strategy in Companies that Compete Across Industries and Countries.
Part V: CASES IN STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT.
Instructor's Companion Website
The companion website for instructors contains everything you need to prepare your course, including PowerPoint slides, test banks, case notes, and videos. The instructor's manual has been reworked end-to-end to give you comprehensive support in creating engaging learning experiences for your students. We'll give you tips and techniques for integrating the MindTap® learning suite into your course, and whether you flip your classroom, teach in a Socratic discussion format, lecture, or exclusively online, we'll help you design your course to meet your needs and those of your students.
Instructor's Resource DVD
This DVD contains a compiled a set of videos that correlate with each chapter. The videos are sourced from BBC and show clips from curated sources that present a company facing the challenges and/or implementing the concepts presented in this text. The videos also appear in the MindTap® learning suite, so students will be able to view the videos within this environment.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for Hill/Schilling/Jones' Strategic Management: Theory & Cases: An Integrated Approach
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.