Request for consultation
Bowman/Kearney's STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT, THE ESSENTIALS, SIXTH EDITION takes a positive look at state and local government, in a shorter and more streamlined approach than its full-length counterpart (State and Local Government 9781435462687). It clearly and succinctly demonstrates that government can be a force for good in society, while addressing critics simultaneously. Through engaging coverage of current events and an accessible writing style, the text fosters student interest and involvement in state and local politics, policy, and public service. For instructors who prefer a more streamlined text or for those who teach one-semester courses, this new edition of the Essentials version features limited focus on policy, and six fewer chapters than its full-length counterpart.
- Results of select state elections in 2012 and 2013.
- New table of new state laws taking effect in 2013, and new content on the relaxation of state liquor laws.
- Updated innovative ways to engage citizens in local government.
- New material on the impact of the latest round of legislative redistricting, and expanded discussion of special districts.
- Updated discussion on the conflict between local governments and their states.
- Revised throughout for currency, including updated information on same-sex marriage in Chapter 2, updated materials on the "Great Recession" and the recent sequester in Chapter 8, and updated analysis of the politicization of state courts in Chapter 9.
- Internet resources document official websites where students and instructors can navigate in and outside of class.
- Each chapter opens with Chapter Outlines for easier navigation throughout the text and Focus Questions for critical thinking and launching lectures.
- Bolded key terms in the body of the text are defined in the margins of the page for easy reference, and Key terms with page references are also listed at the end of each chapter for easy review.
- Chapters close with recaps or summaries of key concepts that appeared in the chapter to aid in review and retention.
2. Federalism and the States.
3. State Constitutions.
4. Citizen Participation and Elections.
5. Political Parties, Interest Groups, and Campaigns.
6. State Legislatures.
8. Public Administration: Budgeting and Service Delivery.
9. The Judiciary.
10. State-Local Relations.
11. Local Government: Structure and Leadership.
12. Taxing and Spending.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
The Instructor's Manual contains for each chapter: an outline and summary; critical thinking questions; in-class activities; lecture launching suggestions; a list of key terms with definitions; and suggested readings and Web resources. The Test Bank, offered in Microsoft® Word® format, contains multiple-choice, true/false, and essay questions for each chapter. Download your Test Bank at www.cengage.com/login.