Request for consultation
Created through a “student-tested, faculty-approved” review process with hundreds of students and faculty, SPEAK2 is an engaging and accessible solution to accommodate the diverse lifestyles of today's learners at a value-based price. SPEAK2 helps you guide students through the speech-making process with six Speech Plan Action Steps and related activities that prompt them to develop effective speeches. With the help of sample speeches, instructor prep cards, numerous online tools, techniques to help address anxiety and ethical issues, and much more, you will be able to help students gain an exceptional foundation for creating and delivering their speeches.
- NEW chapter on ceremonial speeches gives students the tools they need to make speeches that are appropriate for a variety of special occasions.
- NEW chapter on group presentations discusses the techniques involved in creating successful group presentations and working as a team to deliver a cohesive message.
- NEW quick quiz at the end of each chapter gives students an opportunity to check their understanding of the chapter concepts before diving into deeper review and speech preparation. The quiz is accompanied by a list of additional study tools for traditional and online review.
- Speech action steps provide a six-step process (with specific substeps) designed to guide students through a sequential speech planning process.
- Sample student speeches are accompanied by evaluation checklists, an outline, a transcript, and analysis. Discussion tips for each sample speech are contained on the instructor prep card and provide a structure for helping students evaluate both the structure and content of the sample speech.
- Reflect on Ethics: What Would You Do? features scenarios that require students to think critically about ethical dilemmas that communicators face. Each scenario is accompanied by questions to energize class discussion.
- Application and speech assignments on each instructor prep card provide a variety of activities to do with students in class or for them to do on their own.
- Every 4LTR Press solution comes complete with an engaging print textbook, tear-out review cards, an interactive digital solution (CourseMate), and an eBook, all of which were directly influenced from student focus groups and surveys and from interviews with hundreds of faculty and students.
- Shorter comprehensive chapters in a modern design present content in a more engaging and accessible format without minimizing coverage for your course.
- Tear-out review cards at the back of the Student Edition provide students with a portable study tool containing all of the pertinent information for class preparation.
- Instructor prep cards at the back of the Instructor's Edition make preparation simple with detachable cards for each chapter, offering a quick map of chapter content, a list of corresponding PowerPoint® and video resources, additional examples, and suggested assignments and discussion questions to help you organize chapter content efficiently.
- Every 4LTR Press solution comes with CourseMate, the interactive digital component that offers a full suite of unique learning tools that appeal to different learning styles. Quizzes, games, interactive video activities, MindTap Reader, and more are only a click away.
- All of the content and resources you expect with a supplements package that is second to none that includes an instructor manual, PowerPoint slides, a testbank, and more.
1. Foundations of Public Speaking.
2. Your First Speech.
3. Listening and Responding.
Part II: SPEECH PLANNING ACTION STEPS.
4. Determining an Appropriate Speech Goal.
5. Adapting to Audiences.
6. Gathering and Evaluating Information.
7. Organizing and Outlining.
8. Introductions and Conclusions.
9. Presentational Aids.
10. Language and Oral Style.
Part 3: PUBLIC SPEECH PRESENTATION VARIATIONS.
12. Informative Speeches.
13. Persuasive Messages.
14. Persuasive Speeches.
15. Ceremonial Speeches.
16. Group Presentations.
Quick Quiz Answers.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. Every question has undergone a series of accuracy checks and anti-piracy reviews, as well as a multi-point inspection to remove weak question options (e.g. all answers are correct), sharpen ambiguous questions, and ensure balanced coverage of major course concpets, difficulty levels, and Bloom’s Taxonomy. The test bank questions form the basis for the assessments in the RELG: World Online product, and are different from the Practice Quizzes available for students.
Version for Instructor Review. This version of the textbook includes the same chapter content as the Student Version, but replaces the Chapter Review cards with Prep Cards. Perfect for the experienced instructor looking to try something new or the first-timer coming to the course fresh, Prep Cards offer additional examples, in-class activities, information on the supplements, and more to help you plan your course and enhance your lecture.