Request for consultation
Created through a "student-tested, faculty-approved" review process with hundreds of students and faculty, SPEAK is an engaging and accessible solution to accommodate the diverse lifestyles of today's learners at a value-based price. SPEAK helps you guide students through the speech-making process with six Speech Plan Action Step activities that prompt them to develop effective speeches. With the help of sample speeches, instructor prep cards, numerous online tools, techniques to help students address anxiety and ethical issues, and much more, you will be able to help your students gain an exceptional foundation for creating and delivering their speeches.
- Speech Plan Action Steps guide students through a step-by-step preparation process that results in significantly better speeches. The Action Step activities are supplemented by in-text and online examples prepared by students.
- Shorter, comprehensive chapters in a modern design present topics in a way that is easy for students to understand.
- Chapter-In-Review Cards at the back of the Student Edition give students a portable study tool.
- Instructor Prep Cards at the back of the Instructor's Edition make preparation simple. These cards provide a quick map of chapter content, a list of corresponding PowerPoint® and video resources, additional examples, and suggested assignments and discussion questions to help you organize chapter content efficiently.
- Perforated index cards at the end of the student edition allow students to prepare note cards for their first speeches.
1. Foundations of Public Speaking.
2. Developing Confidence through the Speech-Planning Process.
3. Listening and Responding Effectively.
Part 2: PRINCIPLES.
4. Selecting an Appropriate Speech Goal.
5. Adapting to Audiences.
6. Gathering and Evaluating Information.
7. Organizing and Outlining the Speech Body.
8. The Introduction and Conclusion.
9. Presentational Aids.
10. Language and Oral Style.
11. Practicing Delivery.
Part 3: INFORMATIVE AND PERSUASIVE SPEAKING.
12. Informative Speaking.
13. Understanding Persuasive Messages.
14. Persuasive Speaking.
Part 4: ADAPTING TO OTHER OCCASIONS AND FORMATS.
15. Ceremonial Speaking: Speeches for Special Occasions.
16. Developing and Delivering Group Presentations.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. Every question has undergone a series of accuracy checks and anti-piracy reviews, as well as a multi-point inspection to remove weak question options (e.g. all answers are correct), sharpen ambiguous questions, and ensure balanced coverage of major course concpets, difficulty levels, and Bloom’s Taxonomy. The test bank questions form the basis for the assessments in the RELG: World Online product, and are different from the Practice Quizzes available for students.
Version for Instructor Review. This version of the textbook includes the same chapter content as the Student Version, but replaces the Chapter Review cards with Prep Cards. Perfect for the experienced instructor looking to try something new or the first-timer coming to the course fresh, Prep Cards offer additional examples, in-class activities, information on the supplements, and more to help you plan your course and enhance your lecture.