Request for consultation
Help today’s students master individual income tax concepts and better understand ever-changing tax legislation with SOUTH-WESTERN FEDERAL TAXATION 2018: INDIVIDUAL INCOME TAXES, 41E. Renowned for its understandable and time-tested presentation, this book remains the most effective solution for helping students grasp individual taxation concepts. This edition reflects the most current tax legislation for individual taxpayers at the time of publication. Clear examples, summaries and tax scenarios clarify concepts and sharpen critical-thinking, writing, and research skills. The book's "Fitting it all Together: Framework 1040" demonstrates how topics relate to one another and to the 1040 form. In addition to complete instructor support, each new book offers leading professional software, including H&R Block® Premium & Business software, Checkpoint® (Student Edition) from Thomson Reuters, CengageNOW™ online homework solution and MindTap® Reader.
- NEW “MINI” TAX FORM PROBLEMS PROVIDE ADDITIONAL PRACTICE-With even more practice opportunities and independent study resources than ever before, this edition's text and CengageNOWv2™ helps you ensure that your students have the tax skills and thorough understanding they need to succeed.
- END-OF-CHAPTER ROGER CPA REVIEW QUESTIONS FOR SELECTED CHAPTERS PREPARE STUDENTS FOR SUCCESS. Students review key concepts using proven questions from Roger CPA Review -- one of the industry's most effective tools to prepare for the CPA Exam.
- The 2018 Tax Media Pack includes a 1 term (6 months) printed access card for RIA Checkpoint and a printed access card for H&R Block Premium & Business, Filing Year 2016. Checkpoint is a leading Tax research tool used by top U.S. CPA firms. It integrates comprehensive, authoritative content from experts, well-known third-party content, primary source materials, news, online learning, and more—allowing you to do your research in one place. H&R Block features basic and complex problems that allow students to prepare returns for individuals, C and S corporations, partnerships, estates, and trusts.
- TAX RETURN FORM PROBLEMS PROVIDE ADDITIONAL ONLINE PRACTICE WITHIN CENGAGENOWV2™. With even more practice opportunities and independent study resources, this edition's CengageNOWv2™ online resources help you guide your students in mastering the specific taxation skills they need to succeed.
- IN-CHAPTER "EXAMPLE" PRESENTATION IMMEDIATELY CLARIFIES AND REINFORCES CONCEPTS. This book's unique "Example" design makes it easy for your students to read and quickly understand the concepts.
- PRACTICAL TAX SCENARIOS BEGIN AND CONCLUDE EACH CHAPTER. The "Big Picture: Tax Solutions for the Real World" examines lives, careers and tax situations of typical individual filers. Each Big Picture case asks students to develop the best tax solution for these real-life dilemmas. Four examples in the chapter relate to the "Big Picture" tax situation. End-of-chapter "Refocus on the Big Picture" summaries and tax planning scenarios apply chapter concepts to professional solutions. A "What If?" section demonstrates how tax treatments can vary as the filer's situation changes.
- "FITTING IT ALL TOGETHER FRAMEWORK 1040" HELPS STUDENTS NAVIGATE CRITICAL TOPICS. The book's unique framework demonstrates how tax concepts are organized. The "Fitting it all Together: Framework 1040" uses the Income Tax Formula for Individuals to help students organize their understanding of each chapter's concepts and see how the topics they have learned relate to the basic tax formula. Students understand where various items are reported on Form 1040.
- REAL-WORLD FEATURES HELP STUDENTS UNDERSTAND TODAY'S TAX ENVIRONMENT AND ITS UNIQUE CHALLENGES. Drawn from today's business and popular press, "Tax in the News" features enliven class discussions by presenting current issues that illustrate the chapter material and apply them to real life.
- PROVEN LEARNING FEATURES HELP STUDENTS DEVELOP PROFESSIONAL SKILLS. "Ethics and Equity" features spark critical thinking and discussion as students evaluate their own value systems while reviewing ethical scenarios. A separate section in most chapters details how to apply the tax law to reach taxpayer's goals. Tax planning applications also appear throughout each chapter. "Global Tax Issues" highlight how taxation is affected by international concerns and illustrate tax laws across the globe. Students develop decision-making and analytical skills with Decision-Making Problems.
- END-OF-CHAPTER COMPUTATIONAL EXERCISES PROVIDE ESSENTIAL PRACTICE. Students gain critical hands-on experience and practice with the detailed Computational Exercises in most chapters that correspond directly to the chapter's key Learning Objectives.
- CENGAGENOWV2™ OPTIMIZES STUDENT LEARNING AND PRODUCES DESIRED OUTCOMES. CengageNOWv2™ is built around the way students learn, study and complete homework, equipping them for success in your course. You’ll find end-of-chapter homework from the text, "What If" versions of problems, algorithmic problems, detailed feedback, test bank questions, and superior tagging to create an effective learning environment. You’ll also find an Adaptive Study Plan and assignable, gradable study center that adapts to each student's unique needs, providing a remediation pathway to keep every learner on track.
1. An Introduction to Taxation and Understanding the Federal Tax Law.
2. Working with the Tax Law.
3. Tax Formula and Tax Determination; An Overview of Property Transactions.
Part II: GROSS INCOME.
4. Gross Income: Concepts and Inclusions.
5. Cross Income: Exclusions.
Part III: DEDUCTIONS.
6. Deductions and Losses: In General.
7. Deductions and Losses: Certain Business Expenses and Losses.
8. Depreciation, Cost Recovery, Amortization, and Depletion.
9. Deductions: Employee and Self-Employed-Related Expenses.
10. Deductions and Losses: Certain Itemized Deductions.
11. Investor Losses.
Part IV: SPECIAL TAX COMPUTATION METHODS, PAYMENT PROCEDURES, AND TAX CREDITS.
12. Alternative Minimum Tax.
13. Tax Credits and Payment Procedures.
PART V: PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS.
14. Property Transactions: Determination of Gain or Loss and Basic Considerations.
15. Property Transactions: Nontaxable Exchanges.
16. Property Transactions: Capital Gains and Losses.
17. Property Transactions: Section 1231 and Recapture Provisions.
Part VI: ACCOUNTING PERIODS, ACCOUNTING METHODS, AND DEFERRED COMPENSATION.
18. Accounting Periods and Methods.
19. Deferred Compensation.
Part VII: CORPORATIONS AND PARTNERSHIPS.
20. Corporations and Partnerships.
Appendix A: Tax Rate Schedules and Tables.
Appendix B: Tax Forms.
Appendix C: Glossary.
Appendix D: Table of Code Sections Cited, Table of Regulations Cited,Table of Revenue Procedures and Revenue Rulings Cited.
Appendix E: Practice Set Assignments--Comprehensive Tax Return Problems.
Appendix F: Table of Cases Cited.
Appendix G: Depreciation (online only)
Appendix H: Tax Formulas.
Appendix I: Present Value & Future Value Tables.