Request for consultation
Clearly introduce today’s most important tax concepts and ever-changing tax legislation with Raabe/Maloney/Young/Smith/Nellen’s SOUTH-WESTERN FEDERAL TAXATION 2016: ESSENTIALS OF TAXATION: INDIVIDUALS AND BUSINESS ENTITIES, 19E. Renowned for its understandable, time-tested presentation, this book remains the most effective solution for helping students thoroughly grasp taxation concepts and applications. Students will now benefit from even more coverage of tax planning. The 2016 edition reflects the latest tax legislation. Online updates highlight relevant tax law changes as they take effect to ensure your course remains current. New and proven learning features, such as additional “Big Picture” examples, memorable tax scenarios and “What If?” case variations, help clarify concepts while sharpening students’ critical-thinking, writing skills, and online research skills. In addition to comprehensive instructor support, each new book includes H&R Block® software, and the professional tax research tool, Checkpoint® (Student Edition) from Thomson Reuters. CengageNOW online homework solution and MindTap® Reader are also available. Trust SOUTH-WESTERN FEDERAL TAXATION 2016: ESSENTIALS OF TAXATION: INDIVIDUALS AND BUSINESS ENTITIES, 19E for the most effective tax coverage to guide your students.
- New End-Of-Chapter Computational Exercises Provide Essential Practice. Students gain critical hands-on experience and practice with new Computational Exercises in most chapters that connect directly to chapter Learning Objectives.
- New Clear Design For This Edition’s Examples Clarifies and Reinforces Concepts. Enhancements to this edition’s design make it easier for students to read, practice, and quickly understand the concepts.
- Additional Concept Summaries Assist In Review and Ensure Understanding. At least three fresh new Concept Summaries per chapter recap key points and demonstrate the value of what readers are learning.
- More CengageNOW Algorithmic Problems Provide Significant Hands-On Practice. Additional algorithmic problems within the CengageNOW online resource reinforce tax content in each chapter.
- Engaging New Interior Design and Distinctive Learning Features Capture and Direct Readers’ Attention. New full-color interior design with streamlined coverage and clear labeling of chapter learning features enhance a thorough understanding of each chapter’s concepts.
- Real-World Features Help Students Understand Today’s Modern Tax Environment. Drawn from today’s business and popular press, “Tax in the News” features enliven class discussions by presenting current issues that illustrate the chapter material and applying them to real life. The examples in each chapter use realistic situations to illustrate the complexities of the tax law and allow students to integrate chapter concepts with illustrations and examples.
- Timely Materials Highlight Today’s High Interest Controversial Topics. Intriguing taxation coverage will captivate students and bring concepts to life as this edition emphasizes controversial materials and topics of current interest topics, such as the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT).
- Proven Learning Features Help Students Develop Professional Skills. “Ethics and Equity” features spark critical thinking and discussion as students evaluate their own value systems while reviewing ethical scenarios. Most chapters include a separate section that details how the tax law can be applied to reach taxpayer’s goals. Tax planning applications also appear throughout each chapter. “Global Tax Issues” highlight how taxation is affected by international concerns and illustrate tax laws across the globe. Students develop decision-making and analytical skills with Decision-Making Problems.
- Extensive Appendices Increase The Flexibility Of This Reliable Time-Tested Tax Text. Comprehensive appendices offer you the flexibility to extend the scope of research and thoroughness of coverage in your course. You’ll find material on tax rate schedules, tax forms, an extensive glossary of tax terms, tables of code sections, regulations, revenue procedures and revenue rulings cited.
- CengageNOW Optimizes Student Learning And Produces Desired Outcomes. CengageNOW is a powerful course management system and online learning tool that provides control and customization for your course. CengageNOW includes end-of-chapter homework from the text, “What If” versions of problems, algorithms, detailed feedback, test bank questions, student personalized study plan, superior tagging, and more.
- H&R Block® Tax Preparation Software Accompanies Each Text. One of today’s most popular tax preparation software choices, H&R Block® software is available with each new copy of this edition and provides an ideal tool for guiding students through the tax return process with a dependable, user-friendly approach.
- Checkpoint® By Thomas Reuters (Student Edition) Provides Industry-Leading, Hands-On Professional Experience. The industry-leader for online information that tax and accounting professionals trust, Checkpoint® provides a comprehensive collection of tax law, cases, and rulings with exclusive analytical insights and built-in productivity tools to make research more efficient. An intuitive web-based design makes it fast and simple for students to locate what they need. Checkpoint® Student Edition is available with each new edition.
- Chapter Outlines Help You and Your Students Prepare For Class. Each chapter begins with a chapter outline that directs your students to the right topics for study or reference.
- Practical Tax Scenarios Start Every Chapter. The “Big Picture: Tax Solutions for the Real World” feature gives a glimpse into the lives, families, careers and tax situations of typical individual filers. Each Big Picture case asks students to apply what they will learn in the upcoming chapter to develop the best tax solution for these real-life dilemmas.
- Big Picture Examples Help Students Follow Clients Through The Chapter. Approximately four examples out of the many in every chapter are based on the “Big Picture” tax situation that opens the chapter. These examples help students understand new topics as they bring a more consistent application of data and practical tax stories that span the whole chapter.
- Practical Conclusions Reinforce Tax Scenarios Introduced In Big Picture Examples. Returning to the client situations introduced in the chapter opening, end-of-chapter “Refocus on the Big Picture” summaries and tax planning scenarios apply concepts and chapter topics with professional solutions. A “What If?” section demonstrates how tax treatments can vary as a result of potential changes in the filer’s situation, further preparing readers for tax planning.
1. Introduction to Taxation.
2. Working with the Tax Law.
3. Taxes on the Financial Statements.
PART II: STRUCTURE OF THE FEDERAL INCOME TAX.
4. Gross Income.
5. Business Deductions.
6. Losses and Loss Limitations.
PART III: PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS.
7. Property Transactions: Basis, Gain and Loss, and Nontaxable Exchanges.
8. Property Transactions: Capital Gains and Losses, Section 1231, and Recapture Provisions.
PART IV: TAXATION OF INDIVIDUALS.
9. Individuals as the Taxpayer.
10. Individuals: Income, Deductions, and Credits.
11. Individuals as Employees and Proprietors.
PART V: BUSINESS ENTITIES.
12. Corporations: Organization, Capital Structure, and Operating Rules.
13. Corporations: Earnings & Profits and Distributions.
14. Partnerships and Limited Liability Entities.
15. S Corporations.
PART VI: SPECIAL BUSINESS TOPICS.
16. Multijurisdictional Taxation.
17. Business Tax Credits and Corporate Alternative Minimum Tax.
18. Comparative Forms of Doing Business.