Request for consultation
Introduce students to corporate tax concepts and today’s ever-changing tax legislation with the respected SOUTH-WESTERN FEDERAL TAXATION 2016 CORPORATIONS, PARTNERSHIPS, ESTATES & TRUSTS, 39E. Renowned for its understandable, time-tested presentation, this book remains the most effective solution for helping students thoroughly grasp information critical to the tax preparer, such as C corporations, flow-through entities, taxes on financial statements, and tax planning. This edition reflects the latest tax legislation at the time of publication, while continuous online updates keep your course current with additional tax law changes. This edition builds on the book’s proven learning features with clearer new examples, more summaries, and meaningful tax scenarios that help clarify concepts sharpen critical-thinking, writing, and research skills. In addition to complete instructor support, each new book offers leading professional software, including H&R Block® software, Checkpoint® (Student Edition) from Thomson Reuters, CengageNOW™ online homework solution and MindTap® Reader. Trust SOUTH-WESTERN FEDERAL TAXATION 2016 CORPORATIONS, PARTNERSHIPS, ESTATES & TRUSTS, 39E for the most thorough coverage of individual income taxation available today.
- New End-Of-Chapter Computational Exercises Provide Essential Practice. Students gain critical hands-on experience and practice with new Computational Exercises in most chapters that tie directly to chapter Learning Objectives.
- New Clear Design for This Edition’s Examples Clarifies and Reinforces Concepts. Enhancements to this edition’s design make it easier for students to read and quickly understand the concepts.
- Additional Concept Summaries Assist In Review and Ensure Understanding. At least three fresh new Concept Summaries per chapter recap key points and demonstrate the value of what readers are learning.
- More CengageNOW Algorithmic Problems Provide Critical Hands-On Practice. Additional Algorithmic problems in CengageNOW reinforce tax content in each chapter.
- Engaging New Interior Design and Distinctive Learning Features Capture and Direct Readers’ Attention. New four-color interior design, and streamlined coverage and labeling of chapter pedagogy enhance a thorough understanding of each chapter’s concepts.
- Streamlined Ancillary Resources Place Support At Your Fingertips. Quickly find the support you need for this edition with PowerPoint® slides and other helpful resources now included in the Instructor’s Guide for your convenience.
- Practical Conclusions Reinforce Tax Scenarios Introduced In Big Picture Examples. Returning to the client situations introduced in the chapter opening, end-of-chapter “Refocus on the Big Picture” summaries and tax planning scenarios apply concepts and chapter topics with professional solutions. A “What If?” section demonstrates how tax treatments can vary as a result of potential changes in the filer’s situation, further preparing readers for tax planning.
- Real-World Features Help Students Understand Today’s Modern Tax Environment. Drawn from today’s business and popular press, “Tax in the News” features enliven class discussions by presenting current issues that illustrate the chapter material and apply them to real life. More than 40 examples in each chapter use realistic situations to illustrate the complexities of the tax law and allow students to integrate chapter concepts with illustrations and examples.
- Learning Features Help Students Develop Professional Skills. “Ethics and Equity” features spark critical thinking and discussion as students evaluate their own value systems while reviewing ethical scenarios. Most chapters include a separate section that details how the tax law can be applied to reach taxpayer’s goals. Tax planning applications also appear throughout each chapter. “Global Tax Issues” highlight how taxation is affected by international concerns and illustrate tax laws across the globe. Students develop decision-making and analytical skills with Decision-Making Problems.
- CengageNOW Optimizes Student Learning and Produces Desired Outcomes. CengageNOW is a powerful course management system and online learning tool that provides control and customization for your course. CengageNOW includes end-of-chapter homework from the text, “What If” versions of problems, algorithms, detailed feedback, test bank questions, student personalized study plan, superior tagging, and more. CengageNOW questions and features were specifically designed to create a complete learning system for students, taking them from topic introduction through concept mastery.
- H&R Block® Tax Preparation Software Accompanies Each Text. One of today’s most popular tax preparation software choices, H&R Block software is available with each new copy of this edition and provides an ideal tool for guiding students through the tax return process with a dependable, user-friendly approach.
- Checkpoint® By Thomas Reuters (Student Edition) Provides Industry-Leading, Hands-On Professional Experience. The industry-leader for online information that tax and accounting professionals trust, Checkpoint provides a comprehensive collection of tax law, cases, and rulings with exclusive analytical insights and built-in productivity tools to make research more efficient. An intuitive web-based design makes it fast and simple for students to locate what they need. Checkpoint Student Edition is available with each new edition.
- Chapter Outlines Help You And Your Students Prepare For Class. Each chapter begins with a chapter outline that directs students to the right topics for study or reference.
- Practical Tax Scenarios Start Every Chapter. The “Big Picture: Tax Solutions for the Real World” feature gives a glimpse into the lives, families, careers and tax situations of typical tax filers. Each Big Picture case asks students to apply what they will learn in the upcoming chapter to develop the best tax solution for these real-life dilemmas.
- Big Picture Examples Help Students Follow Clients Through The Chapter. Approximately four examples out of the many in every chapter are based on the “Big Picture” tax situation that opens the chapter. These examples help students understand new topics as they bring a more consistent application of data and practical tax stories that span the whole chapter.
1. Understanding and Working with the Federal Tax Law.
PART II: CORPORATIONS.
2. Corporations: Introduction and Operating Rules.
3. Corporations: Special Situations.
4. Corporations: Organization and Capital Structure.
5. Corporations: Earnings & Profits and Dividend Distributions.
6. Corporations: Redemptions and Liquidations.
7. Corporations: Reorganizations.
8. Consolidated Tax Returns.
9. Taxation of International Transactions.
PART III: FLOW-THROUGH ENTITIES.
10. Partnerships: Formation, Operations, and Basis
11. Partnerships: Distributions, Transfer of Interests, and Terminations.
12. S Corporations.
13. Comparative Forms of Doing Business.
PART IV: ADVANCED TAX PRACTICE CONSIDERATIONS.
14. Taxes on the Financial Statements.
15. Exempt Entities.
16. Multistate Corporate Taxation.
17. Tax Practice and Ethics.
PART V: FAMILY TAX PLANNING.
18. The Federal Gift and Estate Taxes.
19. Family Tax Planning.
20. Income Taxation of Trusts and Estates.
Appendix A: Tax Rate Schedules and Tables.
Appendix B: Tax Forms.
Appendix C: Glossary.
Appendix D: Table of Code Sections Cited, Table of Regulations Cited,
Table of Revenue Procedures and Revenue Rulings Cited.
Appendix E: Table of Cases Cited.
Appendix F: Present Value Tables.