Request for consultation
Created by the continuous feedback of a “student-tested, faculty-approved” process, SOC4 delivers all of the key terms and all of the core concepts for the introductory sociology course through a visually appealing print component with tear-out review cards for students and class prep cards for instructors. Additionally, SOC4 includes an online study center offering with CourseMate that includes an eBook and set of interactive digital tools to address multiple-learning styles, all at a value-based price. SOC4 was developed with considerable input from focus groups, surveys, and conversations with students and instructors resulting in high-interest and comprehensive content, current examples, and a personal tone that accommodates sociology students’ lifestyles and is proven to increase retention and enhance outcomes.
- Thoroughly updated figures, tables, and related text using national data from government sources (e.g., Census Bureau, Department of Labor Statistics, National Center for Health Statistics) and nonprofit organizations (e.g., Pew Research Center, Gallup, World Bank). Hundreds of recent qualitative and quantitative studies—primarily in sociology, but also other fields such as psychology and criminal justice—help students understand the micro- and macro-level forces and changes that affect our everyday lives. As a result, at least two-thirds of references in this edition are new, and most are from 2012 or later. Readability continues to be a major criterion in discussing the many new scholarly articles and reports.
- New key terms (e.g., multigenerational households, social media, medicalization of deviance, achievement gap, motherhood penalty) reflect some of the rapid societal changes. New material on live-tweeting, hooking up, cyberstalking, stereotypes about absent black fathers, Facebook’s recent “experiment” using its subscribers, and societal reactions to LGBTs, for instance, are current and relevant to students’ lives.
- Clear and provocative examples help students grasp abstract ideas, understand conceptual relationships, and spark their sociological imaginations. For example, both personal choices and institutional structures help explain why many young adults still live at home, are postponing marriage, dropping out of college, and why we’re not a color-blind society.
- We continue to emphasize diversity, the significance of social context in explaining human behavior, and the increasing impact of globalization on all aspects of society. Some of the new cross-cultural material includes incarceration and capital punishment, Putin’s authoritarianism, secularization, the global gender gap, and U.S. students’ modest performance on international standardized tests.
- We chose photos and illustrations selectively to encourage students to observe and think critically about recent events such as the U.S. Supreme Court rulings on same-sex marriage, campaign contributions, and Hobby Lobby; Senators’ accusing Dr. Oz of promoting diet scams; increased concern about online privacy; and the mass (and electronic) media’s impact on socialization, health, fashion, and the environment.
- CourseMate for SOC4 has been ENHANCED with a practice quiz generator to help your students prepare for tests. This new practice quiz provides a ten question quick randomly drawn from a large bank of questions, so students never get the same quiz twice. Also, a variety of NEW trackable activities provides your students the opportunity to expand their knowledge with higher-level activities, while providing you easy access to data and reports on their progress and where they need more help through Engagement Tracker.
- Instructor Prep Cards at the back of the Instructor’s Edition make preparation simple with detachable cards for each chapter, offering a quick map of chapter content, a list of corresponding PowerPoint and video resources, additional examples, and suggested assignments and discussion questions to help you organize chapter content efficiently.
- Engaging, trackable, and affordable, CourseMate for SOC offers a dynamic way to bring course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed edition of the text and provide your students with this robust array of learning tools to enrich their course experience. Students gain immediate access to rich quizzing, videos, simulations, and other trackable activities. The Engagement Tracker tool provides you with the ability to identify at-risk students while it's still early enough to help, and also allows you to see what resources your student find most valuable.
- Every 4LTR Press solution comes complete with an engaging print textbook, tear-out review cards, an interactive digital solution (CourseMate), and an eBook all of which were directly influenced from student focus groups and surveys, and from interviews with faculty and students.
- Shorter, comprehensive chapters in a modern design present content in a more engaging and accessible format without minimizing coverage for your course.
- Tear-Out Review Cards at the back of the Student Editions provide students a portable study tool containing all of the pertinent information for class preparation.
2. Examining Our Social World.
5. Social Interaction and Social Structure.
6. Social Groups, Organizations, and Social Institutions.
7. Deviance, Crime, and the Criminal Justice System.
8. Social Stratification: United States and Global.
9. Gender and Sexuality.
10. Race and Ethnicity.
11. The Economy and Politics.
12. Families and Aging.
13. Education and Religion.
14. Health and Medicine
15. Population, Urbanization, and the Environment.
16. Social Change: Collective Behavior, Social Movements, and Technology.
"An accessible text that covers a breadth of topics for a sociology class while presenting a variety of sociological perspectives on each topic."
"The book has good visual appeal, nice graphics, and up-to-date, timely examples. I really like it."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. Every question has undergone a series of accuracy checks and anti-piracy reviews, as well as a multi-point inspection to remove weak question options (e.g. all answers are correct), sharpen ambiguous questions, and ensure balanced coverage of major course concpets, difficulty levels, and Bloom’s Taxonomy. The test bank questions form the basis for the assessments in the SOC Online product, and are different from the Practice Quizzes available for students.