Request for consultation
Today’s most complete and credible business law text, SMITH & ROBERSON'S BUSINESS LAW, 17E by Richard A. Mann and Barry S. Roberts continues a tradition of accuracy with coverage of the latest issues and emerging trends. The updated, detailed presentation of business law provides excellent preparation for the certified public accountant (CPA) exam with coverage of business law, legal duties and responsibilities of accountants, and the corporate governance portion of the business environment and concepts. Cases blend landmark and current decisions with edits to preserve the language of the court. More than 220 classroom-tested figures, diagrams, and summaries emphasize the fundamental concepts, principles, and rules of law that apply to business transactions. Readers gain insights into the function and operation of courts and administrative agencies as well as potential legal problems for businesses. This trusted, thorough text ensures a solid understanding of modern business law.
- NEW EDITION HIGHLIGHTS THE NEW RESTATEMENT (THIRD) OF RESTITUTION AND UNJUST ENRICHMENT. Students will find detailed coverage and clarification of this law of restitution and unjust enrichment throughout this edition’s Chapters 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, and 50.
- NEW CONTENT ADDRESSES THE NEW RESTATEMENT (THIRD) OF TORTS: LIABILITY FOR ECONOMIC HARM. Students review updates to economic torts in this restatement as well as topics new to this restatement in this edition’s Chapters 7, 8, 11, 18, and 44. NEW CURRENT CASES ILLUSTRATE HOW KEY PRINCIPLES OF BUSINESS LAW ARE APPLIED IN THE UNITED STATES. Approximately half of this edition’s chapters include new cases. These and all other updated cases are carefully selected to offer relevant and interesting content for your students.
- NEW UPDATED COVERAGE OF TIMELY AND EMERGING DEVELOPMENTS IN THE FIELD OF BUSINESS LAW. Students find the latest information on limited liability companies, benefit corporations, suretyship, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act, the SEC’s new Regulation A and disclosure rules clarifying how companies can use social media to disseminate information, the Foreign and Economic Espionage Penalty Enhancement Act of 2012, the EPA’s regulation of greenhouse gases, and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
- NEW QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS CHALLENGE STUDENTS’ UNDERSTANDING. Almost all of this edition’s chapters include new end-of-chapter questions and/or case problems.
- SUMMARIES AT THE END OF EVERY CHAPTER OFFER HELPFUL REVIEW. These at-a-glance annotated outlines include key terms. They allow students to review the legal principles covered before examining the application of those principles in the chapter’s case and hypothetical problems.
- APPLYING THE LAW FEATURE HELPS STUDENTS USE LEGAL REASONING WITHIN CASES AND LEGAL ISSUES. The authors clearly present the Issue, Rule, Application and Conclusion (IRAC) method. Students hone their abilities as each chapter’s feature provides a systematic legal analysis of a realistic situation that focuses on the single chapter's concept. Applying the Law feature appears in 14 of the book’s chapters.
- NUMEROUS PRACTICAL ADVICE SCENARIOS OFFER HELPFUL INSIGHTS INTO BUSINESS LAW TODAY. These scenarios throughout the text demonstrate how readers can apply legal concepts to today's common business situations.
- THIS BOOK PROVIDES AN EXCELLENT, PROVEN RESOURCE FOR CPA EXAM PREPARATION. The authors carefully cover the following parts of the CPA exam: the business law section, the legal duties and responsibilities of accountants section, and the corporate governance portion of the business environment and concepts.
- TIME-TESTED, DEPENDABLE CLASSIC SETS THE STANDARD FOR ACCURACY AND THOROUGHNESS FOR UNDERGRADUATE BUSINESS LAW TEXTS. Widely acclaimed for its longstanding tradition of being uniquely authoritative, comprehensive, and reliable, this edition continues to maintain its signature approach while providing up-to-date coverage of current business law topics in the printed book and supporting resources.
- EXCELLENT ASSORTMENT OF CASES INCLUDE LANDMARK AND CURRENT CASES. The book's thorough cases are edited to preserve the language of the court and are lengthier than cases in other texts. In addition, the end-of-chapter placement and treatment of cases makes it easy to adopt a true black-letter-law case analysis approach, if you prefer to teach the material this way.
- ABUNDANT REALISTIC EXAMPLES ILLUMINATE LEGAL PRINCIPLES. Both actual and hypothetical examples throughout this edition illustrate often complex topics in the context of real-life scenarios. These memorable examples help your students gain a more concrete understanding of business law.
- THOUGHT-PROVOKING QUESTIONS, PROBLEMS AND CASES CHALLENGE STUDENTS. In-depth cases, hypothetical end-of-chapter problems and questions help students explore the implications of each situation and enhance their understanding of key concepts while developing the critical-thinking skills to succeed in today's business environment. An end-of-chapter feature -- Taking Sides -- requires students to apply critical thinking to a case-based fact situation as they identify relevant legal rules, develop arguments for both parties in the dispute, and explain how a court would resolve the dispute.
- MORE THAN 220 INSIGHTFUL FIGURES, TABLES, AND DIAGRAMS ILLUSTRATE EACH CHAPTER’S DISCUSSION. These invaluable visual aids, integrated throughout the text, present a unique way for students to learn and master the book’s material.
1. Introduction to Law.
2. Business Ethics and the Social Responsibility of Business.
3. Civil Dispute Resolution.
4. Constitutional Law.
5. Administrative Law.
6. Criminal Law.
7. Intentional Torts.
8. Negligence and Strict Liability.
PART II: CONTRACTS.
9. Introduction to Contracts.
10. Mutual Assent.
11. Conduct Invalidating Assent.
13. Illegal Bargains.
14. Contractual Capacity.
15. Contracts in Writing.
16. Third Parties to Contracts.
17. Performance, Breach, and Discharge.
18. Contract Remedies.
PART III: AGENCY.
19. Relationship of Principal and Agent.
20. Relationship with Third Parties.
PART IV: SALES.
21. Introduction to Sales and Leases.
23. Transfer of Title and Risk of Loss.
24. Products Liability: Warranties and Strict Liability in Tort.
25. Sales Remedies.
PART V: NEGOTIABLE INSTRUMENTS.
26. Form and Content.
27. Transfer and Holder in Due Course.
28. Liability of Parties.
29. Bank Deposits, Collections, and Funds Transfers.
PART VI: UNINCORPORATED BUSINESS ASSOCIATIONS.
30. Formation and Internal Relations of General Partnerships.
31. Operation and Dissolution of General Partnerships.
32. Limited Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies.
PART VII: CORPORATIONS.
33. Nature, Formation, and Powers.
34. Financial Structure.
35. Management Structure.
36. Fundamental Changes.
PART VIII: DEBTOR AND CREDITOR RELATIONS.
37. Secured Transactions and Suretyship.
PART IX: REGULATION OF BUSINESS.
39. Protection of Intellectual Property.
41. Consumer Protection.
42. Employment Law.
43. Securities Regulation.
44. Accountants' Legal Liability.
45. Environmental Law.
46. International Business Law.
PART X: PROPERTY.
47. Introduction to Property, Property Insurance, Bailments, and Documents of Title.
48. Interests in Real Property.
49. Transfer and Control of Real Property.
50. Trusts and Decedents' Estates.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Instructor’s Companion Website
Find the teaching tools you need at your fingertips. For your convenience, this edition’s website includes the Instructor's Manual, the Test Bank, and the PowerPoint® slides in one easily accessible resource.