Request for consultation
Reader-friendly and engaging, SMALL ANIMAL CARE AND MANAGEMENT, Fourth Edition, offers a comprehensive guide to the care and husbandry of small animals. Through a logical flow of information, it introduces students to the basics of the small animal industry, including the history, safety concerns and care and welfare of these animals before diving into the specifics of each, with chapters covering dogs, cats, reptiles, birds, fish and exotic species. Full-color photos and illustrations visually depict various breeds and their characteristics, anatomy, handling techniques, housing and other care concerns to facilitate learning, while activities and additional resources offer the opportunity for application and further study.
- Reflects current statistics, provided by leading experts and organizations, to validate learning and make certain that students remain well-versed in the latest information from the industry.
- Thoroughly revised chapter on careers promotes success with professional advice on seeking and obtaining a position, as well as building a career in the industry.
- Species-specific chapters are regoranized to present like animals in sequence, while a fresh design and new photos and illustrations offer supporting visual instruction to promote learning.
- New information related to each species, reflecting the latest knowledge available on breeds, diseases and ailments, grooming, housing and equipment, and reproduction.
- "Fast Facts" in species-specific chapters summarize important characteristics of each animal and provide a helpful review tool for students.
- Fully supported by robust teaching and learning materials, the fourth edition includes a secure Instructor Companion site containing Lesson Plans, PowerPoint® Presentations, Testbanks powered by Cognero,and an Image Gallery, a student workbook, and a CourseMate featuring the ebook, a variety of interactivities, quizzing and more!
- Reader-friendly approach combined with a highly illustrative and engaging design facilitates learning for the student.
- Practical information and advice, including a chapter on careers, promotes student interest and success within a specialized field of study.
- Current topics, including a chapter on Safety as well as one on Animal Rights and Animal Welfare highlight significant concerns within the small animal industry so that students remain informed.
- Chapter features, including "Fast Facts", questions, activities and additional resources, enables students to validate and apply what they have learned, as well as an offer an opportunity for further study of specific areas of interest.
3. Small Animals and Pets.
4. Animal Rights and Animal Welfare.
5. Careers in Small Animal Care.
6. Nutrition and Digestive Systems.
14. Guinea Pigs.
18. Sugar Gliders.
Appendix A: Colleges of Veterinary Medicine.
Appendix B: Veterinary Technology Programs.
Appendix C: Recognized Veterinary Specialty Programs
Appendix D: Reported Cases of Lyme Disease.
"This is a great addition to any Small Animal Class…The background information is very strong and would serve as an excellent guide to any teacher no matter the level of experience…[[and]]…The quality of new information added is outstanding and will only aid in a student's understanding. I am excited to use it."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The instructor's Manual serves as an instructional resource and provides teaching tips or guidelines, essay questions, answers to review and test questions, key objectives, glossary, appendices and exercises for content reinforcement.
The ClassMaster CD-ROM is a complete instructor's teaching package on CD-ROM composed of innovative tools designed to correlate to and reinforce the text. ClassMaster CD-ROMs include the following components: Computerized Test Bank: Provides the most flexible solution for creating, administering, and grading exams; tutorials, and quizzes; Features a Quick Start Guide that will lead the instructor through the basic steps of creating a gradebook and exam for the corresponding subject and discipline. Instructor's Guide: Provides unit objectives, competencies to be developed, unit glossaries, and answers to all questions in the accompanying textbook; teacher's Resource Materials; Components can include lesson plans, PowerPoint™slides, and image libraries (some books include transparency masters in lieu of PowerPoint™ slides).
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
The student workbook is designed to help studentsretain key chapter content. Included within this resource are multiple –type questions that enable students to evaluate their knowledge of chapter concepts, links to online resources, case studies and additional activities.
The student workbook is designed to help you practice and retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are multiple –type questions to evaluate your knowledge of chapter concepts, links to online resources, case studies and additional activities.