Request for consultation
Help students examine the use of services marketing as a competitive tool from a uniquely broad perspective with Hoffman/Bateson’s SERVICES MARKETING: CONCEPTS, STRATEGIES, AND CASES, 5E. Using a reader-friendly, streamlined structure, the book explores services marketing not only as an essential focus for service firms, but also as a competitive advantage for companies that market tangible products. Real examples feature businesses from industries both within and beyond the nine service economy supersectors: education and health services, financial activities, government, information, leisure and hospitality, professional and business services, transportation and utilities, wholesale and retail trade, and "other services." Cutting-edge data addresses current issues, such as sustainability, technology, and the global market, giving students valuable insights for business success. A new online format offers features to keep your course current and is the perfect solution for online, hybrid, and traditional classes that want to take advantage of technology.
- Significant updates and revisions highlight the latest in services marketing concepts and practices. Updated coverage in every chapter emphasizes emerging topics, such as managing employees, managing service customers, implementing service recovery programs, understanding service supersectors and ethical considerations, and creating a world-class service culture.
- Sustainability & Services in Action Boxes PROVIDE UNIQUE EMPHASIS. Perhaps the first services marketing book to incorporate sustainability throughout, this edition addresses sustainable services marketing practices in a variety of global industries.
- The book highlights how, despite the intangible nature of service products, the companies producing these services are some of the world’s largest consumers of earth’s natural resources. These box features emphasize industries and topics including green hotels, banking, airlines, restaurants, universities, Vail Resorts, TerraPass, and Starbucks.
- New chapter-opening vignettes spotlights service issues in real companies. These compelling, real-life situations draw the attention of readers and set the stage for the chapter topics that followed. Familiar companies, including Buri al Arab Hotel, Qatar Airlines, Planet Fitness, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Pay What You Can Restaurants, "Dinner in the Sky," and RateMyProfessor.com, are featured.
- More than 50 video links illustrate key service concepts. Prepared specifically to meet the needs of current users, these Video Links are cross referenced by chapter. The videos offer a blend of humorous and serious content to bring services marketing practices alive in your classroom and help you establish a more interactive atmosphere for learning.
- Global Services in Action Boxes focus on international services marketing practices. In response to the growth of service economies throughout the world, this edition’s global services feature demonstrates the subtle adjustments to international services marketing strategies that are necessary to become a world-class service organization. Boxes highlight medical tourism, Katitche Point Great House, tipping etiquette, ethnic pricing, dark dining, personal selling approaches around the world, and international considerations for creating world class service cultures.
- E-Services in Action Boxes highlight the dynamic nature of online service marketing practices. This special feature provides examples of popular and leading online companies and topics, such as Zappos.com; hotel marketing; Goggle.com; social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn; online airline pricing, and the ins and outs of online customer satisfaction.
- LEARNING OBJECTIVES ESTABLISH THE FRAMEWORK FOR EVERY CHAPTER. You can more efficiently organize class lectures with this tool. Students can also use the Learning Objectives to organize class notes as they study for essay-oriented exams.
- END-OF-CHAPTER REVIEW QUESTIONS REINFORCE UNDERSTANDING. Every chapter concludes with ten constructive review questions that are intentionally written to reinforce students’ comprehension and application of chapter content. Answers for review questions are provided in the Instructor’s Manual for your convenience.
- MARGIN AND END-OF-CHAPTER GLOSSARIES CLARIFY INDUSTRY TERMS. Key terms are highlighted in every chapter within the text and are clearly defined in the adjacent margin. For student study, all key terms are presented again at the end of each chapter in order of appearance and are re-defined in a convenient end-of-chapter glossary.
- END-OF-CHAPTER CASES ILLUSTRATE, DEEPEN, AND EXTEND CHAPTER CONCEPTS. These cases, purposely brief in nature but long on application, represent a variety of service industries. They offer students an opportunity to further internalize services marketing concepts. Answers for end-of-chapter cases are provided in the Instructor’s Manual for your convenience.
- INSTRUCTORS’ RESOURCES PROVIDE VALUABLE TOOLS FOR PREPARATION AND ASSESSMENT. An Updated Instructors Manual provides chapter outlines, PowerPoints®, answers to review questions and cases and an updated test bank. Instructor’s Resource CD-ROM includes the Instructor’s Manual, Test Bank, PowerPoint® Lecture Slides, and Cognero. An expanded Test Bank includes multiple-choice questions and new short-answer essay questions, while the Cognero Computerized Testing program allows you to create tests in minutes. In addition, the test items are available for a variety of Learning Management Systems such as Blackboard, Desire 2 learn, Moodle, and more. The Instructor Support website places downloadable supplements at your fingertips.
- STREAMLINED 15-CHAPTER VERSION PERFECTLY FITS MOST SEMESTER OR QUARTER UNIVERSITY SCHEDULES. As a result of this revision, you’ll find an effectively integrated service marketing text that incorporates online, global, sustainability and ethical considerations within one book, while providing the latest in service marketing concepts and practices.
- CHAPTER-OPENING QUOTES DIRECT STUDENT ATTENTION TO CHAPTER CONTENT. Every chapter begins with a managerially-oriented, thought-provoking quote that is directly pertinent to chapter content. Quotes, such as “Washrooms will always tell if your company cares about its customers” and “The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory,” set the practical application tone for each chapter.
1. An Introduction to Services.
2. The Service Sector: Supersectors and Ethical Considerations.
3. Fundamental Differences between Goods and Services.
4. Services Consumer Behavior.
Part II: THE TACTICAL SERVICES MARKETING MIX
5. The Service Delivery Process.
6. The Pricing of Services.
7. Developing the Service Communication Strategy.
8. Managing the Firm’s Physical Evidence.
9. People as Strategy: Managing Service Employees.
10. People as Strategy: Managing Service Consumers.
Part III: ASSESSING AND IMPLEMENTING SUCCESSFUL SERVICE STRATEGIES
11. Defining and Measuring Customer Satisfaction.
12. Defining and Measuring Service Quality.
13. Complaint & Service Recovery Management.
14. Customer Loyalty & Retention.
15. Pulling the Pieces together: Creating a World Class Service Culture.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, an updated instructor’s manual, video links, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.