Request for consultation
Designed to provide students with the knowledge needed to protect computers and networks from increasingly sophisticated attacks, SECURITY AWARENESS: APPLYING PRACTICE SECURITY IN YOUR WORLD, Fifth Edition continues to present the same straightforward, practical information that has made previous editions so popular. For most students, practical computer security poses some daunting challenges: What type of attacks will antivirus software prevent? How do I set up a firewall? How can I test my computer to be sure that attackers cannot reach it through the Internet? When and how should I install Windows patches? This text is designed to help students understand the answers to these questions through a series of real-life user experiences. In addition, hands-on projects and case projects give students the opportunity to test their knowledge and apply what they have learned. SECURITY AWARENESS: APPLYING PRACTICE SECURITY IN YOUR WORLD, Fifth Edition contains up-to-date information on relevant topics such as protecting mobile devices and wireless local area networks.
- Information on the latest security attacks and defenses have been updated.
- New material include the latest information on and best practices for securing wireless networks and mobile devices (laptops, smartphones, and tablets), cryptography and attacks using social engineering, and a brand new chapter on privacy.
- A new section in each chapter on exceptional security provides practical suggestions for going “above and beyond” a basic level of security.
- New Hands-On Projects in each chapter cover some of the latest security software.
- PRACTICAL APPROACH: Students will learn about the different attacks that a computer system faces today and how to make their own computers secure.
- BEGINNER-FRIENDLY: No previous in-depth knowledge of networks, system hardware, or operating systems is required therefore students can immediately learn the steps of keeping the attackers from infecting their computers.
- REAL WORLD APPLICATION: Background material will help students across multiple progream apply practical security knowledge to various computers, networks, and software.
- MULTIPLE AUDIENCES: This book meets the needs of students and faculty in a traditional classroom setting as well as in an online delivery of the course materials.
- HANDS-ON ACTIVITIES: Hands-on activities can be performed using either equipment installed on a college campus or using personal computer equipment at home. Almost all hands-on activities cover software that is included as part of the Windows operating system or is a free download from the Internet. A special classroom computer lab is not necessary in order to perform the hands-on activities.
2. Personal Security.
4. Internet Security.
5. Mobile Security.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.