Request for consultation
SAFETY, NUTRITION, AND HEALTH IN EARLY EDUCATION, Sixth Edition, uses theory, practical applications, and resources to prepare early childhood education students for a career in working with children from birth to age eight in multicultural and socioeconomically diverse early childhood settings. This text emphasizes healthy development, including environmental health and safety, active supervision, and how brain development can be affected by issues surrounding safety, nutrition, health, child maltreatment, and mental and emotional health. It also fully integrates NAEYC, DAP, and AAP/APHA professional standards throughout, and includes strategies for how to engage diverse families from various backgrounds and beliefs, and also those whose children have special needs.
- NEW TeachSource Digital Downloads are practical and professional downloadable resources that allow students to immediately implement and apply this textbook's content in the field in diverse, multicultural settings. Students can download these tools and keeps them forever, enabling preservice teachers to begin to build their own libraries of professional resources and study aids. A TeachSource Digital Downloads label identifies these items throughout the text.
- NEW Building Curriculum lesson plans are just one type of TeachSource Digital Downloads in the new edition. These new lesson plans provide a curriculum based on the chapter objectives and the age of child, and specify the methods and materials needed to achieve it.
- NEW Supporting and Engaging Diverse Families sections in each chapter provide information on how teachers can support families from many cultures and beliefs or with special needs by engaging them in the process of providing better safety and nutrition as well as healthier environments. Strategies are provided for ways teachers working with families can be more culturally competent, and Activities for Family Engagement provide suggestions that enable teachers and families to work together to create a risk-free environment for children.
- NEW brain development connection boxed features, now provided in nearly every chapter, take a more in-depth look at brain development and how it can be affected by safety, nutrition, health, child maltreatment, and mental and emotional health. Topics include the effects of toxins on the developing brain, nutrition and the brain, motor development and its effects on the developing brain, the effects of maltreatment on the developing brain, and social-emotional relationships and the developing brain.
- NEW and expanded content discusses the safety and health of our environment, focusing on green cleaning, integrated pest management, indoor air quality, and nature-based outdoor play areas. There's also expanded and updated information on Autism Spectrum Disorder, the increasing use of electronic devices in education, and many other topics that highlight the most current research.
- NEW topics in some Reality Check boxes provide in-depth information on natural outdoor spaces for safe play, and human generated disasters.
- NEW Activity for Kids Pyramid from the Food Guidance System of the USDA, and specific information from the physical activity portion of the Food Guidance System, help teachers understand issues related to children and their physical activity.
- Reality Check boxes address current issues that have an impact on the well being of children. They bring an in-depth approach to some of the more critical areas affecting children and early childhood education environments today.
- Vignettes, now called Case In Point, are located throughout each chapter so that students can “observe” stories based on real-life events in culturally diverse settings.
- What Would You Do? boxes located in the text's margins allow students an opportunity to reflect on how the information might pertain to their work and career situations.
- TeachSource Videos, introduced in the text and viewable online, feature footage from the classroom to help students relate key chapter content to real-life, multicultural scenarios. Critical thinking questions after each video provide opportunities for in-class or online discussion and reflection.
- Each major section of each chapter ends with a Key Concept box that summarizes the section's important points.
- Important terms are highlighted in color in the text and defined in the margin on the page where they first appear. There is also a comprehensive glossary found at the end of the book.
- A chapter summary, critical-thinking questions, activity ideas, and case studies at the end of each chapter offer opportunities to review, reflect, and apply the material.
- The book's CourseMate website provides additional resources and activities, including quizzes and flashcards.
- Vignettes, now called Case In Point, are located throughout each chapter to allow you to “observe” stories based on real-life events.
- Learning outcomes at the beginning of each chapter correlate with main headings in the chapter to highlight what students need to know, understand, and be able to apply after reading the chapter.
- Coverage of early childhood standards helps students make connections between professional standards and the content in each chapter.
1. A Holistic Environmental Approach to Healthy Development in Early Childhood Education.
Section II: SAFETY IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION.
2. Creating Safe Environments.
3. Indoor Safety.
4. Outdoor Safety.
5. Emergency Response Procedures.
Section III: NUTRITION IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION.
6. Basic Nutrition for Children.
7. Protecting Good Nutrition for Healthy Development.
8. Providing Good Nutrition for Diverse Children.
9. Meal Planning and Food Safety.
Section IV: HEALTH IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION ENVIRONMENTS.
10. Tools for Promoting Good Health in Children.
11. Prevention of Illness through Infection Control.
12. Promoting Wellness through Supportive Health Care.
13. Providing for Special Health Care Needs.
Section V: CURRENT ISSUES IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION SAFETY, NUTRITION, AND HEALTH.
14. Child Maltreatment.
15. Fostering Good Mental Health and Emotional Well-Being in Children.
“The Robertson text has helped me to be successful in achieving my course goals because it gave me the tools to immediately walk in and provide comprehensive lectures and learner-centered activities. My students have responded well to the case studies and relevant information.”
“The content kept my attention and expanded my knowledge about a subject I thought I knew.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
An online Instructor’s Manual accompanies this book. It contains information to assist the instructor in designing the course, including sample syllabi, discussion questions, teaching and learning activities, field experiences, learning objectives, and additional online resources. For assessment support, the updated test bank includes true/false, multiple choice, matching, short answer, and essay questions for each chapter.
Online PowerPoint® Slides
These vibrant Microsoft PowerPoint lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture, by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Education CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated eBook, glossaries, flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more-as well as Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from the text as well as multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Education CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Access an integrated eBook, learning tools including glossaries, flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your Education CourseMate.