Request for consultation
Cengage Learning Activity Series From aerobics and yoga — to bowling, tennis, weight training, and more — Wadsworth offers a complete line of activities texts to meet your teaching needs. Written for individuals of all skill levels and backgrounds, the Wadsworth Physical Activity Series goes beyond the mere fundamentals, showing students how to improve, excel, and simply get more enjoyment from their favorite physical activities. RIGHT DOWN YOUR ALLEY: THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BOWLING, 7th Edition, includes everything a bowler, whether beginner or advanced, young or old, needs to know about the game. This text takes students from holding a ball to principles of movement and competitive bowling, and provides strategies to keep improving. RIGHT DOWN YOUR ALLEY: THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BOWLING also covers more advanced topics for those past the novice stage. Throughout the text, students will be introduced to the newest proven techniques, equipment, and teaching and learning concepts that are currently being used effectively by bowlers, coaches, and teachers across the country.
- Two new chapters have been added to the new edition. Chapter 8, "Scoring and Rules of Bowling," gives the latest updates on scoring procedures and rules of the game. Chapter 9, "Preparing for League Bowling," details the differences between scratch league and handicap league and how to accurately score each type.
- A new section on electronic bowling in Chapter 11 describes how students who have an available electronic game system can practice and perfect coordination, delivery, ball rolls, balance, and spot bowling.
- Expanded discussions of the "3-1-2 Strike Adjustment System" and "3-6-9 Spare Conversion System" have been added to update the material and introduce students to these methods.
- A new 4-color design helps engage students, especially visual learners.
- To reach a broader range of players, integrated instructions and photos for left-handed bowlers are included throughout the text and are now shaded for an easy-to-find reference.
- An online instructor's teaching guide, which includes such resources as classroom activities and testing tools, provides time-saving lecture preparation tools.
- A short introduction provides a brief history of the game to give students a foundation for understanding the game completely.
- Each chapter concludes with summarized main points, highlighting the key concepts covered in the chapter.
- The format of the text is designed to make it easy for students to follow instructions and perfect their skills, making this an ideal resource for both classroom and independent use.
- The second part of this text is devoted to advanced bowling, including competitive bowling, the 3-4-5 strike adjustment system, and alternatives to the four-step approach. Chapters have been devoted to both competitive aspects of bowling as well as coaching techniques.
- Nearly 100 photos, along with numerous figures, help visually demonstrate proper techniques and form, giving students a better sense of the proper ways to bowl successfully.
- After every new concept, "Self Evaluation Questions" are integrated and easily locatable throughout each chapter, letting students review key concepts and techniques before moving on to new ones.
1. Understanding the Basics.
2. Preparing for Action.
3. Stance, Approach, and Delivery Concepts.
4. Principles of Movement Applied to Bowling.
5. Common Errors and Corrective Actions.
6. 3-1-2 Strike Adjustment System.
7. 3-6-9 Spare Conversion System.
8. Scoring and Rules of Bowling.
9. Preparing for League Bowling.
10. Bowling for Those with Special Needs.
11. The Modern Bowling Environment and Twenty-First Century Technology.
PART II: ADVANCED BOWLING.
12. Alternatives to the Four-Step Approach.
13. Ball Tracks.
14. Lift and Revolutions.
15. 3-4-5 Strike Adjustment System.
16. 2-4-6 Spare Adjustment System.
17. The Advanced Bowler and Technology.
18. Competitive Bowling.
Appendix A: Glossary of Terms.
Appendix B: Bowler’s Analysis Chart.